Chapter 8

On the way home, both my parents stayed quiet. They would look through the mirror and give me disappointed looks every now and then. It got to the point where I just wanted to pull my hair out.

"Just talk." I snapped after about the hundredth look I received. My mother turned her head and frowned at me. Her eyes colder than we had left the River's house.

"I am very ashamed of you." she said quietly. I groaned, leaning my head back and putting my feet up on the seats. I closed my eyes and rubbed my temples, sensing a head ache on the way.

"Mom, have you ever thought it could also be his fault? Not just mine? I mean seriously, why would I just yell that at him for no reason?" I asked, not even opening my eyes. I heard her shift in her seat and the car come to a stop. I opened my eyes a little, not wanting to look at them and looked outside the window. Home. 

I quickly opened the door and climbed out of the car, pulling my bags behind me. "You're grounded." my dad said, his tone harsh and dominant. I looked into his blue eyes, not even daring to speak up. He looked worn out and old.

Right then, Marco's car pulled up to the curb. He got out and waved at me. "Sunshine!" he said, walking over to me. I didn't look his way, glaring at my dad for what seemed like ever. He got to my side and pulled me into a hug.

"Hey you." he said lamely. I hugged him back, thinking of how lame that had been, but I didn't mention it of course. 

"Uh, hold on." I said, picking up my bags and walking to the front door. I opened it and threw them inside, getting a harsh glare from my mother. I turned back around and stuck my hands in my pockets. 

"So what did you want to talk about?" he asked me, pulling me by the jeans. He leaned his head down and looked into my eyes. I couldn't find the words to tell him we had to end it. 

In stead, I reached up and kissed him. He stayed shocked, not moving at first. I pulled away and blushed. "I'm sorry. I jus-" he cut me off by placing his lips on mine. His hand moved to my back and pulled me impossibly closer, getting rid of any space between us. 

He kissed me softly, not how Roy had kissed me the first time. My eyes shot open as I thought of him. Anger shot through my body as I remembered the way he had kissed me and held me. I pulled away from Marco, looking down at my feet.

He chuckled lightly, pulling me to his chest. My eyes watered, thinking of how much my life would suck. "Sunshine, you are so wonderful." he said, his voice soft and loving. I looked up at him and smiled. I kissed his jaw, wrapping my arms around his torso.

"I'll see you tomorrow at school." I said, pulling away from him. He nodded, his eyes shining brightly. He cupped my cheek with his hand and pulled me into another kiss.

"I've got to confess." he said, touching his forehead with mine. "I've been in love with you for a while now." I pulled away from him, looking into his eyes. I smiled and walked back to the door.

"By Marco." I said, closing the door behind me. I bit my lower lip, looking down at my beat up converse, my face red as a tomato. I sighed, contently and pushed away from the door, looking up to find my father, his hands clenched to the side of his body. "Hey daddy." I said softly, raising my hands and putting them behind my head. 

"You are going to move in with Roy." he said, making the smile on my face drop. He knew just how to ruin the moment by bringing up that jerk-face. 

"What?" I asked, not sure if I heard him right,

"You are moving in with Roy. He will be here soon to pick up your stuff. We called to apologize and came up with that compromise." he said bluntly. I stared at him in disbelief, hating the power he had over me.