Chapter 13

The wedding ring felt cool against my hot, sweaty finger. I forced a smile up at Roy as he carefully placed it on my finger. He said his vows, not looking away from my eyes. I swallowed loudly, shifting my gaze somewhere else. 

"In the presence of God and these our friends I take thee to be my husband, promising with Divine assistance to be unto thee a loving and faithful wife so long as we both shall live." I said, placing the ring on his fingers. I could hear my mom crying in the background as the judge pronounced us husband and wife. 

Roy quickly leaned down, kissing me softly on the lips. I closed my eyes, willing myself not to cry. He pulled away, interlacing his fingers with mine. I opened my eyes, turning to our parents. They beamed up at us, our mothers crying their eyes out.

I gave them a small smile, wanting to get away from there quickly. "Let's go." I said, pulling his past them. I didn't even bother hugging them. I was mad. Royally pissed off that I had been married to a man I didn't love.

"Eager for the wedding night?" he asked, making me stop. My face heated up, but I turned to him.

"You wish there was a wedding night." I snapped, letting go of his hand. He chuckled, placing his hands on my hips. I bit my lip from yelling at him and climbed into his truck. I smiled, waving goodbye to our parents.

I ripped out the veil and threw it on the floor. I kicked off my heels and let my hair down. The curls fell around my face, hiding it from Roy's eyes. "Don't cover your face sweetheart." he said, reaching over and moving my hair out of the way. "You look very beautiful."

I scoffed, slapping his hand away. "Keep your eyes on the road. And you aren't going to get in my pants." I said.

"It was worth a try." he replied. I laughed, letting my head rest on the seat. "So where too?" he asked. I looked back up, forgetting we weren't in my hometown.

"Take me to the beach." I said, knowing it was very far away. He didn't respond. I slowly let my lids close, feeling exhaustion take over my body. Before I knew it, I had fallen deep into sleep.

I was shaken awake, my heart beating fast in my chest. I sat up quickly, getting seat belt burn on my exposed shoulder. I looked around, not even feeling the pain. "Sunshine, we're almost there." Roy said, looking over at me. 

I looked at him confused before looking out the window. There I saw the ocean for the first time in my life. I gasped, sitting up straight and watching as the waves hit the rocks. "Where are we?" I asked him, knowing that my voice sounded like a little girl's.

He laughed, taking hold of my hand. "Baby, we're at Big Sur." he said. I turned to look at him, not able to hide the smile on my face.

"How did you get here so fast? I mean, we were just in Nevada and now we are in California." I beamed, looking outside the window again. 

"You fell asleep. Don't worry about it though, yo are very cute when you sleep." he said. I turned pink at his words, but didn't turn to look at him. "I called ahead, I will stop at an old friends house so we can change, then we are going to camp out in Andrew Molera."

"But I don't have any extra clothes." I said, turning to look at him.

"Like I said before, I called an old friend. We have everything already baby." he said, turning into one of the exits that lead to the mansion like condo. He parked behind a white Honda, turning off the car. He took off his jacket and placed it on my shoulders. "It's cold outside." he said before opening the doors and climbing out.