Chapter Thirteen

After my chat with Michelle, I asked my mother if I could spend the night at Niall's. She agreed, but Louis was reluctant.

“Mum, are you insane!?” Louis screams at my mother.

While on the phone with her, I could hear everything that he was saying.

“Louis, she's seventeen. Almost eighteen, mind you. She can take care of herself. Besides, she's with Niall.”

“And you trust him?”

“Of course, don't you?”

I don't hear Louis answer. He doesn't trust Niall?

“Come on, Lou. You trust him enough to be with you sister.”

“I'm having second thoughts.”

“Louis! They've been together for like three months now. You've been okay with him before?”

“Yeah, that's when he wasn't cheating on my sister!”

“Louis!”

“He's not cheating on me!” I yell into the phone.

“What are you talking about?” Louis' voice speaks through the phone.

My mother must've passed the phone to him.

“It was his aunt.”

“He's cheating on you with his aunt?"

“No, you idiot! People saw him arrive with his aunt! She's staying in town for a few weeks at his place. I've met her, she's really nice.”

“Well then, why do you have to stay at his place if you know he's not cheating on you?”

“He needs me, Louis.”

“He can live without you for one night. He's done it before.”

“Louis, you don't understand.” I sigh. “I'm staying over Niall's tonight, and you aren't changing my mind. I'll call you tomorrow, alright? I love you. Bye.”

I hang up before he can answer. I rub my temples as a pair of hands rub my shoulders. I moan and lean into Niall's chest.

“Thank you.” I sigh.

He doesn't respond but kisses my exposed shoulder.

“Did you have a nice time with my aunt?” he asks.

I nod my head, “Oh yes, she's very sweet.”

The silence that followed was – I guess you could say, peaceful.

“Oh and Niall?”

He hums in acknowledgment.

“I'm sorry about your sister.”

The no response causes me to continue.

“And your mother, maybe your father, your grandmother, and your grandfather.”

“My grandfather isn't dead?” he voice starts to panic.

“No no, he's not dead. I'm just sorry he can't remember you most of the time.”

The silence that follows when I'm done speaking was uncomfortable.

“How'd you know?” he voice spoke above a whisper.

“Michelle told me everything during our chat.”

There was a silent pause. Niall stared off into space avoiding my eyes.

“I'm sorry.” I sob. “I'm sorry about the death of your sister, and mother, and grandmother. I'm sorry after the death of your sister, your father started beating you. I'm sorry he was such a screwed up father. I'm sorry your grandfather can't remember you and I know it pains you. I'm sorry your past is so messed up, it made into the person you are today. But I'm in love with the person you are today.”

Niall's blue eyes were swimming in tears. He collapses in my arms and sobs quietly into the crock of my neck. I squeeze him every once in a while to reassure him I'm listening to his sobs. When his sobs quiet down to soft cries, then soft whimpers, till finally soft hiccups, I haven't let him go until we both fall asleep in each other's arms.

One week till PROM

Niall was over for dinner the following night discussing Prom with my mother.

“So, Niall, about Prom?”

“I have arranged a limo to pick up Lily, Abigail, and Kendall here at 7:00.”

“Do they have dates?”

“Well, yes and no.”

“They're going with Harry and Zayn.” I cut in. “It's to make sure we're safe at prom.”

“And they agreed to this?”

“It took a lot of begging and pleading.” I chuckle lightly.

“And the three of you will take care of my girlys?”

“Yes Ms. Tomlinson, with our lives.”

The smile that appeared on my mother's face was trustworthy towards Niall. He returned it with a hint of excitement.

-later that night-

“WE'RE WHAT?” Kendall and Abigail scream in union on Skype.

“You're going with Harry and Zayn to Prom. It's the only way to keep me safe.”

“Well, if it's only to keep you safe...”

“Kendall! I wanted to go with Dylan Walker.”

“Oh did I forget to mention?” I ask. “You don't have to be with them all night, just for the limo drive and entering the building. Then you're free to go with whoever. They're staying with me.”

The sign of relief washes across both their faces. Prom was in one week. One week until supposedly the best night of our lives. I just wanted it to be done and over with. My phone vibrates on my desk making me jump.

“You ready for Prom?”

The text was from an unknown number.

“Yes, but who is this?”

“Not the concern.”

The line causes me to shiver – it's a familiar line.

“Well stop messaging me."

“Prom is in a week, sweetheart. One week until the night, you'll never forget.”

Author's note: I know the chapter is short, I just needed a transition into prom :) x