Chapter Sixteen

June

The end of the school year was fast approaching and Niall was still in the hospital. I was struggling with keeping up with my grades and visiting him. After my last visit, he told me that he was being discharged June 6th – a week before graduation. Louis and Liam had their last game coming up. I promised them I'd go. It was the last game of the season, of the year in fact – because they're both graduating on the 13th. Even though I promised them I'd go, I didn't want to go without Niall. Though I've being feel ill lately – I didn't want anyone worrying. So I told no one, not even Niall, that I was throwing up almost everyday. I figured I just had the stomach bug, or I was just stressing myself out with my grades. After dinner one night, I took Lottie and myself to visit Niall. I wanted to talk to him about the game and Lottie hasn't seen him in a while

“Nialler!” Lottie cried with a smile.

“Hey Lott.” Niall smiled back.

“Hey Lily?” she asks me. “I'm going to the bathroom, I'll be right back.”

I nod.

“Hey Ni?” I ask turning to him.

He hums in response.

“I promised Louis and Liam, I'd go to their last game. But I really don't want to go without you and I won't be able to visit you that day.”

“Well, what day is the game?”

“June 6th.”

“The day I'm being discharged.”

I sigh and nod. The only sound in the room was the blip of the heart monitor.

“You should go to their game.”

I look up in shock.

“You promised them. You should go, Lily.”

“Are you sure?” I raise an eyebrow.

Niall nods and the conversation ends with Lottie walking back into the room.

June 6th

The day of the game and Niall's discharge from the hospital approached fast. I was getting changed into the team's colors to show my support for Louis and Liam.

“Lily! You have a visitor!” my mother's voice calls from downstairs.

I run downstairs and Harry was standing in the living room in the school's colors, smiling.

“Harry! What are you doing here?”

“Well, since I wasn't injured I was discharged, and Niall asked me to take his place at the game.”

“Lily!”

The sound of my brother's voice chanting my name from somewhere in the house.

“I'm in the living room Lou!”

“Lily! Lily! Lily!” my brother's voice was filled with excitement.

“What's gotten you all excited?”

“The college sponsors are going to be at the game today! I think Liam and I are getting our scholarships today!”

“That's great Lou!”

I was excited to be witnessing my brother get his scholarship in football – but I was also missing Niall.

Harry extends his arm to me, “Shall we?”

I take it along with giggling, “We shall.”

-at football field, behind the school-

The bleachers were half-way packed by the time we arrived at the field. Louis headed off into the locker rooms while my family and I – including Harry – heading towards the bleachers to find seats. As Harry and I walked past the spot 'The Sex Pistols' normally hung out, there was a person smoking. The person flicks their cigarette into the sand at their feet.

“Care if I join you?” the person asks.

“Zayn?” Harry and I say in disbelief.

“What are you doing here?” I ponder.

“I visited Niall earlier today and he was telling me that there was a game today. He told me that Harry was taking his place. So I thought, why not help out. Maybe it'll make you feel like Niall really is here.”

I smile at Zayn's consideration.

We make our way to the bleachers as the players head out onto the field. I saw my brother, #1, and Liam, #2, run onto the field. We all cheered as Louis kicked the first scoring goal. Half-way through the game, the boys were winning 5-4. Louis and Liam were scoring goals left and right. With five minutes left in the game, the score was tied at 9-9, the boys had the ball. Louis passed it to Liam and he passed it back. They continued passing it back and forth across the entire field. Louis passed it back to Liam for the final kick. Liam lifted his foot up in the air and with a swift swoop he kicked the ball – but it missed the goal. His foot had kicked the ball wrong and Liam fell to the ground clutching his foot in pain. The other team stole the ball and passed it back and forth across the field in the opposite direction. The defending goalie wasn't paying attention – as he was too busy worrying about his fellow teammate. The other team scored the winning goal – winning 10-9. When the referee blew the whistle signaling the game was over, the entire team flew from the bleachers and rushed to Liam's aid. The paramedics examined his foot carefully. The college sponsors along with my family were at Liam's side.

“He's broken a bone in his foot.”

“It's a bad bone to break.”

The coach pulled aside one of the paramedics. When they finished talking, the coach's face showed sorrow.

“They said that the bone will grow back, just won't not the right way."

“So what's that mean?” I ask, wanting to know more.

“It means Liam's football career is over.”

“Over? It can't be over!” Louis gasps. “We were getting a scholarship!”

“You'll still get your scholarship, Lou.” my mother responds.

“Our scholarship were for both boys. We feel that both boys are needed. We don't need one, we need both. We are very sorry, but we feel neither of you will get the scholarship.”

The college sponsors walk away leaving both the boys and everyone shock.

“Liam!"

Danielle rushes over to Liam's side as Eleanor comforts Louis. I walk back to the parking lot with Harry and Zayn. When we reach my car, they each kiss my head lightly goodbye.

“So what'd I miss?”

I turn quickly around to the voice I know well.

“Niall!” I gasp running towards his open arms. “What are you doing here?”

“You said you didn't want to go to the game without me."

“The games over. But I'm glad you're here.”

“What I miss?”

“They lost. Liam got hurt. It ended his career in football.”

“That's horrible. I've seen him play, he's amazing! Along with your brother.”

I snuggle closer into Niall's chest.

“We're graduating in a week.” I sigh into his chest.

“Yeah, I'm finally getting out of here and starting my life with you.”

I look up at his face and smile. His lips form a bigger smile as he leans down and places a gentle kiss on my lips.