Chapter Twenty Dreams

Emma Swan

"There has to be a way to get a message to the Jolly Roger," Killian says. "Then they can come and get us out of here."

"There isn't!" I say in exasperation. I hate this dungeon so much. I've seen it enough times to last me a lifetime. "There's no way to do anything without my magic."

"We can't give up!" Henry exclaims. "We have to save everyone. Mom, you're the Savior, you can do anything. All we need to do is get that cuff off of you."

I shake my head and groan, knowing there's no way to get it off without magic. Once again I feel useless. I've never felt so useless, not even in Neverland. This is a feeling I hope I don't have to get used to. Mary Margaret would tell me to have hope. God I wish I could have hope. But the fact that the woman who locked me up is the same person who would tell me that lowers my confidence some.

"I don't know what to do," I say. "I think maybe this time, we might just have to stop fighting and blow wherever the wind takes us."

Henry shakes his head. "We can't do that. We can't stop fighting. Heroes always win. We'll break this curse and get home."

I wish I could answer with an I know, kid, and a smile, but I can't. I can't even look at him. So much has gone on in my life. I've been through so many things. I've also seen a lot of people I love die. I don't know how much more of that I can take.

"Swan," Killian says, taking my hand, "I know this is a hard time, but you don't have to get through it alone. Henry and I are here for you. We can defeat this. Together."

I take a deep breath, trying to steady my emotions. "Somehow we need to get out of here. I don't know how. They're probably not going to make the same mistake and give us exactly what we need to get out. I guess we just need to hope that someone will come and save us."

I lean my head against the wall and close my eyes. When we'd settled in for the night, I hadn't been able to sleep. I was exhausted. Killian notices. He puts his arm around me and says, "Go to sleep, love. You could use it."

I open my eyes and glare at him. "What's that supposed to mean?"

He smirks and shakes his head. I close my eyes with a small smile on my face. If only I was prepared for the dream that comes next.

I hold an infant in my arms who looks up at me with wide eyes, filled with tears. "It's okay, Leia, don't cry," I say. I have no idea how I know this baby's name is Leia. All I know is that I need to comfort her and protect her with my life.

"Emma," a voice whispers. I turn my head and see Killian. Tears fall down his face as he looks at me with Leia. "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to fail you."

"Fail me?" I ask, coming closer to him. "Killian...you could never fail me."

"But I did," he says. "And now because of it, I'm going to lose you and our daughter. I love you, and I'm sorry."

"Killian?" I ask with worry in my voice. Something bad is about to happen.

I hold Leia closer to my chest as the room starts to heat up. Flames lick the curtains and start spreading across the floor towards us. I turn back to Killian and look into his eye as the flames start to engulf me. "I love you. And you have never failed me."

"I'm sorry," he says one last time before the world around me fades to black.

I seem to jerk awake at the same time as Killian. I turn my head to look at him, the panic clear in both of our eyes. "Did we just...have the same dream?" I ask, confused.

"I'm not sure," Killian answers. "Did you--were there flames? A baby?" I nod. "Did I fail you?"

"That's what you said," I say. "But I told you that you could never fail me."

He furrows his brow. "It wasn't exactly the same then," he says.

"What do you mean? What happened differently?"

He avoids looking at me. "Nothing. It's not important."

I purse my lips and wonder what it was that happened differently. There's something very suspicious about the fact that we had the same dream. There's nothing I can do about it, because we're locked away in a dungeon, but one day I'll figure it out.

Just then the dungeon door opens and in comes my father. Killian smirks when he sees what David's wearing. He wears all black, but that's not the part that makes  him smirk. It's the guy liner. It's not like he only wears a little, he wears a lot. "That's something I can never un-see," I mutter to myself.

He pulls out a set of keys and puts one of them into the lock. He comes in and grabs Henry's arm, dragging him out. I scream Henry's name and run to the metal bars, shaking them as hard as I can as the dungeon doors close. The bars barely rattle. I know there's absolutely nothing I can do with this stupid cuff. I tug at it some more until I feel Killian's hand on mine. I look into his eyes. Instead of seeing the pity I was sure would be there, I see the same fright in his eyes. He's worried about Henry.

"We'll get him back," he says, lacking a little confidence. "Surely they're not executing him. Wouldn't they have said something?" He asks with a gulp.

"I don't know," I answer, going into Killian's arms for a comforting hug.

🔮🔮🔮🔮

Henry Mills

I struggle when I hear my mom calling my name. David doesn't let go or even loosen his grip. "Stop struggling, I'm not going to hurt you," he says once the dungeon door is closed. I relax a little, even though he could be lying, which he probably is.

He brings me into a room with a large table in the center with chairs around it. He pushes me into one of the chairs and I sit there silently. Snow comes into the room then and my breath catches in my throat. She looks so different and much scarier.

Following her is Isaac. I glare at the man who cursed my family to be here. He doesn't even glance at me. Snow gestures towards my chair and says, "Is this him?"

Isaac nods. "Oh yeah, that's him," he says with a smile that looks too excited. "What are you going to do to him?"

Snow pretends to think about it. "I'm not sure yet. He'll remain in the dungeon until I decide. As for the other two, they'll be killed slowly and painfully."

I clench my hands into fists, whereas Isaac's smile grows. "When?" He asks eagerly.

"Tomorrow at dawn," Snow tells him. She has an air to her, like she doesn't care about anything around her. I don't know her story here, but it can't be as bad as Regina's. I think Isaac just needed an excuse for Snow to be the Evil Queen and he quickly made up a backstory. Not very good story writing. In my opinion, Isaac should have taken his time to write the story. A good story needs to be planned out so it makes sense and something doesn't happen as if out of the blue.

I find myself surprised by my line of thoughts. I'd never really seemed interested in writing...

"What do you want with me?" I ask.

Snow looks over at me. "Nothing yet. I just needed Isaac to confirm that you're the child he was looking for. Charming, take him back to the dungeon."

When Charming grabs my arms and pulls me back, I don't fight. My mind can't process what's happening around me at the moment. And then I realize why. I'm staring at the pen in Isaac's hand like it's the only thing on earth.
-
-
-
-
I'm so sorry for taking so long to update! I've been very busy lately. The whole dream thing will make sense later. 😉 I'm probably going to make a sequel to this. Would anyone read it?
Anyways, thanks for reading, and comment your thoughts! 😘