Chapter 1: The Life

Preface:

Greetings!

My name is doesn't matter, but you can call me DM.

This is my first story and it took me 4 months to sum up the balls and upload. Therefore, all comments, critics, feedbacks, etc. are encouraged, I'd love to know what people think about my work and what needs to be improved other than my friend's who I forced to like and vote this =_= And it would be best if they're in English :)

Danke!

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, well, you had it coming.

Chapter 1

Juney's POV:

The cold rain stung my face, its freezing beads from the sky landed on my hazel nut hair, sliding down my neck. My eyes met with the black umbrella popping out, slowly making its way to us. I felt Bo's elbow nudge mine, his unripe green eyes bore into the silhouette moving in the car, one foot out. I inhaled deeply as the figure finally emerged, running towards us, the man's dirty blond hair covered most of his face. He stopped a good 5 ft distance from us, under the social service's umbrella, and looked up to gaze at us with a genuine smile, showing off his white and perfectly lined teeth. I couldn't help but to smile back, displaying some sincere hospitality while Bo, as always, was watching the stranger precautionary, his squared jaw tightened and his hand balled into a fist.

~ Boys, I would like you to meet Mr. Phillip ~ The social worker communicated, gesticulating her hand to the blond man. ~ He is your court assigned guardian for the next 5 months ~.

Phillip held out his hand to us, I took it and felt the instant warmth spreading across my fingers. He turned to Bo offering the hand shake and I could see my brother reluctantly took his. Phillip's smile never faded.

~ Ok, let's get you out of the rain and go home, shall we?~ The social worker – Frida – continued, the alienated word caused my brows to furrow. 'Home' as she said it, well, I couldn't wait to see if home was the right word. I could tell Bo was alarmed by the unexpected term as well since his shoulders were tensed.

Once again Phillip held out his hand, this time insinuating for us to let him help with the luggage. I just shrugged and smiled, telling him I can take care of it, and so did Bo as he shook his head faintly. This man's unexpectedly welcoming manner caught me off guard, the kindness emitting from his every movements was estranged to us. Our lives hadn't been easy, the things we had gone through drove us into a habitual route of putting up barriers to the surrounds, keeping us from harm. What this guy Phillip was doing certainly shattered mine a little bit, but I kept telling myself to be careful and just acted out with the situation. You can't definitely judge a book by its cover, and for me and my brother, cover was all we'd got.

Once we'd settled in the car, Phillip in the driver's seat and Frida took shot gun, me and Bo were comfortably stuffed in the back seat of the Honda Odyssey.

I caught Phillip examining us through the rear-view mirror, his brows creased in perplexity. This kind of scrutiny was particularly familiar to us, considering no matter how much our personalities and behaviors were different from each other, people still have difficulty telling us apart. After all, we're twins.

The car roared to life, well, more like trembled and I turned back to take one last glimpse at the correctional institution which had been our "home" for the last 2 weeks through the drizzling window. What happened there remained in my mind, confusion washed through my brain, and I wondered would I ever find the truth.

Bo flicked my ear and tried to hide a grin: "Forgot something?'

"Yeah, my 2 weeks of freedom.". I poked him in the neck.

"I'm going to miss it too. But on the bright side, we're going 'home'." He emphasized the word, rolling his eyes.

I sighed heavily: "Right..."