Chapter 8: The Drive

Chapter 8

Color played with the helm of her blue top, nervously glanced out the window a couple of times to seek for Haley. Haley always procrastinates, conveniently leaving Color alone in her carwith the boys. Regretting calling shot gun so eagerly and now having 4 of their crystal green orbs lazering her back, Color nervously peeked at the rearview mirror. A pair of those warm magical eyes caught hers in the mirror and Color sensed chill running down her spine. She wondered whose eyes they were but was too timid to turn around.

A thud from the trunk woke Color from the spellbinding and she saw Haley jump in the car like a thug, despite the long red hippy dress she’d worn. Haley considered herself a rocker, but never dressed the part. She always looked like she was going to the ball while on stage, even though she killed the rim shot on drums.

Color handed Haley a notepad and her sister was confused: “What?”

“For communication, ‘genius’.” Color air quoted, tilting her head to the back. The twins held up their own notepads and pens, grinning. Haley scoffed: “Yeah right, I don’t need that, cause I ain’t going to be the one who does the talking around here.” She flicked Color on the nose.

“But you have to help me; I don’t know how to talk to them.”

“I’m just the driver biatch. You’re the one who insisted on taking them out for the tour.” Haley sneered in front of Color’s miserable expression.

“But...” Color was cut off by the sound of Haley’s ridiculously loud stereo. It was playing “Runaways” by the Killers and that’s exactly what Color wanted to be then.

Acknowledging that Haley had completely ignored Color and left her on her own, she reluctantly scribbled down some word on the notepad, as big as possible. She showed them to the twins: ‘where do you want to see?’

‘everywhere, maybe? we’re kind of new 2 this town.’ The button-up twin wrote with a smirk.

Color felt silly. Of course, why did she even bother asking. But Color was always unsure about things: ‘ok, how about seeing the block first, then to the mall?’

‘agree’ The black-sweater guy answered.

Color sent a friendly smile then told Haley the plan. She just nodded and the car came to life. Just when Color was settling for a staring contest with the glove box, she felt a light tap on her shoulder.

She turned around to find the two handsome guys with the ripped off pages stuck to their foreheads, with saliva she guessed. The piece of paper on the button-up twin said ‘Boran’ while the other one on the black-sweater boy said ‘Juney’. Then Juney showed her the notepad: ‘incase you didn’t know’.

Color beamed at them and their sweet gesture: ‘thanks.’ She tried to hide a blush when Juney smiled at her and gave a thumb up.

So the friendly adorable guy was Juney and the little-overly-uptight twin was Boran. Until they wear another attire. At least she didn’t have to refer to them as such ‘cute guy # 1’ and ‘cute guy # 2’. She wondered for a brief moment who was the elder but quickly scraped out the idea because it simply didn’t matter. It’s not like they were born years apart.

Haley drifted through the block quickly since there wasn’t much to see. The Wilberfox lived in a standard neighborhood, where every family looked the same and owned an absurdly large yard and bushes that really killed the overall scenery. It’s because of those big yards that made the sidewalk smaller and whenever there was a tree planted on it, people would have to avoid them by walking down the open road or get cozy with the bushes. And the road always seemed like the better option.

About 20 minutes into the drive, Color wondered what the twins were doing in the back seat. She swiftly turned around to get a quick peek, and to her surprise, Juney had fallen asleep and Boran just leaned his head on the window, looking bored. Couldn’t blame them. Boran noticed Color looking at him and cracked a cheeky smile. He was charming as hell.

Suddenly, Haley stomped on the brake causing the passengers to bump with different parts of the car and let out frustrated groans, especially Juney since his brief nap caught him off guard as his head violently made out with the front seat. Boran laughed and received a blow to his forehead.

“Haley, what happened?” Color grumbled.

“Let’s go to school.” Haley turned Color’s head forcefully, making her look out the window. In front of Color’s eyes stood the familiar acient auburn bricked clock tower surrounded by fresh yards of grass and a few out dated cars – aka Color’s school. This is a scary sight for Color  because she dreaded going to school. Besides the normal ‘I hate study’ stuff, there was also the simple fact that she just didn’t get on well with any of the students. Luckily, they just ignored Color and she ignored them, aside from a few casual greetings.

Color grunted: “What do you mean? It’s Sunday. Stop kidding and go to the mall, Haley.”

“Malls can wait. I have important business to take care of and since I’m stuck with you three for the rest of the day, at least let me make a pit stop and meet the bands.”

“Bands?”

“A pre-competion meet up. There’s gonna be a lot of rockers there.... well, except for  the lame ones.” Haley sang threateningly.