Chapter 14: Wet Floor Sign

Chapter 14

Color’s dignity slowly dying as the laugh grew wilder. She was going to play a prank on Brandon by putting it in his golf case, but forgot to take it out of her bag. Also, she should have bought a new bag when Haley offered yesterday.

“Caution! Wet floor!” One of the kid started wailing and the crowd roared louder.

Color was cemented on the spot, waiting for a hole to open from the ground and swallow her or a medic stretcher to carry her shameful ass out of there. The only thing keeping her from totally collapsing was the tears being kept from hitting the floor.

Ben stood up from the audience and walked up to Color. He picked up all the stuffs that Color couldn’t grasp, including the book, and guided her to the seat with his arm wrapped around her shoulders. All was done in silence as the crowd watched in mysticfication.

Not until she sat on the bench that Color became fully conscious again with Ben’s nose a few inches from hers: “You OK?”

She just nodded: “Thanks.” Hot tears sprung in her eyes but they never fell.

He sat next to Color, still holding her books. He took out the novel: “I guess this isn’t yours.”

“How do you know?”

“You don’t look like the type of girl that read this book.” He smiled.

“Well what type does then?”

“Others. Which is why; can I borrow this for my brother?”

“I was actually saving that for mine.”

He raised his hand: “Five for great minds think alike.”

She laughed: “You should keep it.”

“Thanks. First welcoming present. Nice.” He giggled in overjoy. “Can I sit with you at lunch? I don’t know anyone and...” He scratched his head again.

“Of course.” Color almost yelled ecstatically. “Same here...” She mumbled the last part.

The excruciating assembly was finally over and everyone rushed for lunch, but not forgetting to give Color the dirty look as they passed by. Ben wrapped his arm around her again and led her out. After they had put Color’s mess in the locker, Ben asked excitedly: “Now where shall we eat?”

Color looked at him: “Well, the bathroom is kinda nice and I hear the parking lot has a great view so...”

“Seriously?”

“Yeah, seriously, the cafeteria is that way.” She chuckled and gestured Ben to follow her.