Chapter 2: The Guys

Chapter 2

Color hopped out of the car after giving Miller a hug, her bag slinging from the side smacked the car door violently causing her aunt to frown. She smiled sheepishly, rubbing her hand on the car door to soothe the invisible wound. Then Color waved them goodbye one last time and sprinted into the house. It’s been 2 weeks since Color came to aunty Julie’s house helping her move, and the images she had seen in her dearest aunt’s attic were enough to send Color flying out of the house and pack to Wonderland. If it hadn’t been for the cute mover boy – who by the way was mysteriously unnamed – she would have done just that. Color recalled his friendly and inviting smile before stepping in her parents’ house, determined to find out who he was.

Color sprung the door open, surprise to see no one in sight. Panic washed over her for a second as she searched frantically to where they were. What if they moved while she was in Gaylord and left her behind? Or worst, her father turned into an axe murderer and killed everybody, finally freezed to death in a hedge maze. But where the hell can he even get a hedge maze?

A noise from the kitchen interrupted Color’s fretful thoughts and she slapped herself on the head. Of course, the kitchen. It was a Sunday so they must be making brunch. Color has always been known as neurotic, although she didn’t show it that much considering she was good at hiding emotions. There were always some signs, but not noticeable to most people, except for her family, who could see it in plain sight.

Cautiously ninja-ing her way in the kitchen, Color could spot Haley by the island, slicing. Mom noticed Color as well as her juvenile child was just a few feet from Haley’s back, and Color instantly shushed her, implying her plan to sneak up on Haley. Mom just shook her head, and as if it was cue, Color jumped on Haley’s back and shouted: “Wah!!”

Haley didn’t even bulge. She just went on with the business, leaving a very frustrated and slightly embarrassed girl behind. Then her mom’s hand came into contact with her ass and created a loud bang. Color grimaced in pain, and turned around to see a grinning wicked woman she called mother. That’s was a signature greeting from Lana – Color’s mom – to show her pride in her daughter’s ass. Not Color’s hair, not her eyes, but her ass.

Then something hit her. It may have slipped Color’s mind for a moment when she was trying to pull off scaring Haley, but it did come into mind when she turned to grief her smacked ass, that there were two tall figures stationed at the stove. So they’re here.

Color finally laid eyes on the 2 boys towering at the counter with approximately the same height, same hair color of chocolate, same broad shoulders which tensed a little, indicating that they were rather nervous. The one in the striped button up shirt seemed the most uneasy as he occasionally switched his foot after another. For a couple of delinquents, they’re quite frigid, much to Color’s surprise since she figured the first days the boys were here they’d be brats, arrogant to all living things and putting their feet on every table in this house instead of so peacefully preparing the family’s brunch.

However they did seem cold seeing how they hadn’t turned their heads once or noticed Color’s arrival after all the racquets she’d been creating since she stepped foot in here, including the horrendous sound of Mom’s hand slapping her ass. Was it just her? Color recollected the conversation she had with Dad 5 days ago when she was still at aunt Hayden’s, he phoned her to inform the boys’ arrival, and through her endless mumbling and protests of that, she vaguely remembered Dad saying something about their condition. Though it just got lost in her head again once she heard “delinquents”.

Haley pulled Color’s finger, making it crack, snapping her out of the trance. Color cried out and pinched Haley on the arm: “Ow, Hale, what the hell?!”

“How about saying ‘hi’ first before you drool us all out?” She smirked. Mom giggled.

“I wasn’t drooling! And incase you haven’t noticed, they are totally oblivious to my existence. Look at them!” Color gestured to the back of their heads. “Either that or they are really into that salad.”

“Either that or they simply can’t hear you.” Haley raised one eyebrow in a judgmental tone. Mom looked at Color wide-eyed and frowned: “So you didn’t know?”

“Know what?!” Color threw her hands in confusion and without a word, Haley pushed her roughly towards the boys. The sudden thrust caused Color to stumble and leap forward uncontrollably, crashing her whole 127 pound body brutally into the back of the one in a black sweater, making him drop the wooden spoon.

After the first impact, Color was bounced back, wobbling her arms in the air trying to keep balance for what seemed like hours. She eventually grabbed hold of the boy at the same time digging her nails into his forearm. He gasped in pain, and Color immediately let him go, embarrassed not so much at the fact that she practically ran into him face first, but because her poorly manicured nails had left 4 red dents on his bright white skin.

As an instantaneous reaction to inertia, Color fell backward, and all she could do was closing her eyes to gear up for the second impact. Suddenly, a sturdy pair of hands gripped her shoulders, keeping her from the nasty fall. Color relaxed, silently thanked her lucky star. The feeling quickly vanished as a slight but powerful push from behind got Color on her feet and even made her stumble forward a little. She kept her balance right this time though.

Swiftly turned back to face her “rescuer”, Color muttered under her breath: “Thank you so...”

The rest of the sentence seemed to have been caught in her throat, struck back and fell down Color’s stomach when she looked at him for the first time. She felt like being in a shark attack as his eyes stared right into her soul, its bright green mixed with a vivid grey orbs took her breath away and filled her veins with adrenaline, which was shadowed by his long and dreamy eyelashes. His chocolate hair was slicked to the side naturally and looked so soft, silky and puffy that it made Color want to run her hand through and ruffle it all day. Another real attraction was his lips, how they seemed so full and had a luscious pink color that itched Color to her core.

Contrary to Color’s stunned expression, the “rescuer” kept his feature cold and emotionless, his squared jaw tightened a bit, staring back at her with a blank look, but his eyes were still mesmerizing. Color could tell right away he’s very defensive and unfriendly, but there’s might be a small chance of him being a hugger. The thought amused her for a brief second when all of a sudden Color sensed steady breathing behind her.

Crap! There’s another one, the one she’s severely injured with all her mighty but unintentionally force. So much for first impression. Literally.

Picture of Color on the side <3

I really like her but struggling not to depict her as the stereotypical weakass nerdy girl, but more like Anton Chigurh in a dress and less murdery.

Attempt failed... or not?