Chapter 7: Fine!

Chapter 7

Phillip was mentally enjoying his family adorable little fight that happened every time until he heard his phone beeped deafeningly. It was from the department, calling him in for an emergency, on a Sunday. “Shit must have hit the fan”, he thought to himself.

As quick as a fox, he jumped from the warm-seated chair and ran into the guest room. Phillip flipped his Samsung – he never believed in smartphone – and heard Jenny from the other line, hastily but carefully explaining the situation to him. Phillip let out a heavy sigh and assured Jen he’d be there in just 5 minutes. His home was close to the department, both to be easier for work and kept his family in a safe distance. After what’d happened, he’d never want any of his beloved family to go through it again, especially his 2 children.

Phillip returned to the dining room, and met everyone’s questioning eyes. He smiled to assure them everything’s fine: “It’s an emergency and I have to leave ASAP. Sorry I couldn’t finish brunch.” Everyone just shrugged and said: “It’s fine Dad.”

Dad continued in a quick pace: “Thanks. Anyways, the boys still need some getting use to and since I’m called in on a Sunday... Color! I want you to take them around the neighborhood, showing them some sights. Ok? Ok.”

Color looked at him panickingly and before she could say anything, Dad confirmed her non-existent approval. She couldn’t say no, because Dad was in a rush and she didn’t want to get tricky with him. Color looked at the boys, showing a little fear. Actually she was terrified. Who wouldn’t if they were her? How the hell can a 17 something-of-a-loser neurotic girl be able to escort 2 deadly-handsome yet cryptically dangerous delinquents around town on a ridiculously beautiful Sunday morning? By herself.

It freaked her out even more when Haley snickered: “Ooh, this is going to be good.” The damn witch even clapped. Wrong move. Dad stared at her menacingly: “You too. She can’t go alone so you’ll be driving the three to wherever Color wants to show them.”. There is a God.

“I’m not gonna be their chauffer!” Haley cried.

“Oh yes you are.” Dad retorted.

“But I have practice...”

“No, it’s a Sunday, take your sister out. Don’t make this difficult Waley...”

“Fine!! Just go. I'll drive them.”. She stopped him just in time he said her nickname. It was given to Haley when she was a baby, who wailed like a horn and cried fountains. Haley was horrified of the word once she knew what it meant and banned anyone from saying it. But it’s even better now that everyone knew her kryptonite. Color grinned.

“Ok then, bye everyone.” Dad kissed Color on the forehead, kissed Haley on her head, blew Mom a kiss and slapped Brandon’s cheek. It was Brandon’s choice since Dad gave him an ultimatum to whether let Dad kiss him on the cheek for goodbye and good luck or get slapped. He chose the second one in a heartbeat.

He skipped out of the house after giving the twins a friendly wave. They waved back, smiling tentatively and had no clue what was going on. Then it dawned on everyone.

“Great... How are we going to communicate now, genius?” Haley asked Color who gulped frantically.