Chapter 15: Vin Diesel's Kryptonite

Chapter 15

Juney’s POV:

We arrived at last. I have never seen anyone drive so slow in my entire life. I can assure you that Phillip drive meters by meters if not inches, not sure of carefulness or just plain Vin Diesel’s kryptonite. It was like Fast and Furious minus the Fast part since Boran was really aggravated in the back seat, letting out endless sighs. He had the need. The need for speed.

Bo jumped out of the car, almost kneeled down and kissed the ground when I pinched his shouder to keep from behaving like a maniac. We put on the bagpacks, 1 shoulder of course, and watched as Phillip write something on a big white sheet.

“I’LL GET YOU GUYS AT 4  OK? Go to the administration office and give them this.” He handed us a stack of documents. Then he signed: ~Sorry. Can’t go with you. Late for work.~

We raised our thumbs up to say ‘everything’s cool’. He gave us one of his disticntive smile, hopping on the car and drove off. Once he was out of sight, Bo said: “Ok. Where to first? How about a bar?”

I looked at him sternly: “Stop playing around Bo. We need this. I won’t cut class and neither will you.”

“Thought I’d give it a shot. Ok, let’s study!” He faked excitement with one arm raised enthusiastically.

“Outta boy.” We walked into the school’s premise, looking for the office.

I gotta say this place is awesome. Not schools in general, but a school for kids like us. For the first time I can understand what everyone’s saying or doing without struggling to read their lips or write it down – which is really frustrating. Don’t want to sound like a softie but I felt like I belong. And so did Bo as he wouldn’t stop jumping around and high-fiving confused deaf kids. He could be a real child sometimes.

Finding the office wasn’t hard because we were good navigators, or just that the signs were as big as billboards. First walk into the office, we were met with an unyielding Asian woman whose glasses were high up to her eyebrows.

She greeted us with her lanky fingers: ~Welcome to MDS. I’m Mrs. Vu, the principle, but you can call me Linda. You are the Radkes, right?~

Bo answered while I stood immobile from fear of the daunting aura that was emitting from her. It was darker than any warden I’ve ever met, but to be honest I’ve only met one: “Yes, we are. I’m Boran and this is Juney.” I gave him a quick glare. “Oh, and nice to meet you, Linda.”

~Good try. Can I see the document?~

I gave it to her with a timid smile. Linda just glared at me and opened the stack. After a good look at it, she hummed: ~Actually, I was informed earlier about your case by Mr. Phillip, your guardian. You guys are quite special.~

Bo sneered: “Thanks. So we’ve been told.”

Linda shot death stare at his way: ~You have an exquisite sense of humour.~ She was not at all amused. ~ Remember, I’ll be keeping a close eye on you two. Now, I will give you a tour of the school.~

“No thanks, we can find the ways ourselves.” I quickly responded.

~ Did I say ‘tour’? I mean ‘rules’.~ Linda glared at me again. I felt chills running down my spine.

The school was big. But not too big. It was really comfortable and finding the ways truly was easy. The only problem was Linda’s uncomfortable tour as she led us around like two lost puppies with one eye behind her head to make sure we didn’t run away. She showed us every cornor of the school, well, more like every detail of the rules and it was so agonizing that everytime she spoke, me and my brother kind of just spaced out. The students paid us no attention at all, except for a few stares at two new deaf kids that looked alike. I could tell that they were also scared of this dragon lady.

She turned around and we instantly switched back to ‘safe mode’: ~ One last thing. Don’t try to attempt the switcheroo trick on me since you are twins, because I can tell the difference between you two easily.~ Linda looked straight into our eyes.

We both gulped and nodded.

~Great. Now, get to your first class. It starts in 6 minutes.~

We walked timorously out of there, since running was not allowed. When Linda could no longer see us, Bo said: “Well, this one is exactly like the last, not to mention worse.”

I shrugged: “C’mon, this is definitely better.”

Class started. Our first class since a long time and I felt nervous. Bo took it to a whole new level when he pointed at the books and pens and asked the red-headed girl sitting next to him: “What are these? So strange...” She looked at him like a mental patient and I just shook my head.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and turn around to see a small black dude. He said: ~Hi new guy. I’m Tom. Nice to meet you.~

I waved at him: “I’m Juney. Nice to meet you too.”

~Peculiar name.~ He grinned, showing off his braces. ~I like it~

“Thanks. I like your braces.” Suddenly a hand tapped on my desk. The teacher was staring down at me: ~I hope you can focus on the lesson because getting your attention is not easy. Do you understand?~

“Yes, sir.”

He turned his gaze to Boran who was pestering the girl non-stop and reached out to flick his ears. He groaned and about to smack me when the tall teacher was already shadowing his desk. Bo seemed to understand what was going on right away and just said: “Sorry.” The teacher shook his head and mumbled something like: “Punks”.

Great first impression.