Chapter 21: A Little Ride

Chapter 21

The early summer smell invaded Color’s sensitive nostrils as tiny guts of wind whizzing her hair into a frenzy. The only thing that could make this setting more ideal for a sobby teenage romantic story is that Color was sitting on a motorcycle driven by Ben the rocker. Oh, but wait... that’s exactly what she was doing.

Yep, Ben was the lead singer of a rockband, played guitar – electric guitar –, had old yummy Justin Bieber hair and rode a motorcycle. Either he was stereotypical textbook perfect lead male model in every single 12-year-old’s fantasy or the writer of this story had been having writer’s block. ;) Bottom line, Ben was too good to be true, especially for a girl like Color.

They were coming home from a ride on the infamous bridges of Bay City and Color’s favorite crepe store. Ben seneraded a funny crepe song while Color was packing some of the delicous French desert for the family, mostly Brandon, that made both Color and the check out girl giggled like little mouse.

Color nibbled on her tongue and glanced at Ben’s hair ermeging in the immature summer sun as he walked with the bad-bottom bike: “You’ve been here over a week. I thought that you had somebody else show you around.”

“Yeah, but I want to hang out with you outside of school.” He smiled. His teeth were so shiny. And those words he’d just said melted Color’s fast beating heart.

“I’m honored...” She mumbled while grinning ear to ear. “But... wouldn’t your girlfriend mind? You know, us hanging out like this?” Her eyes focused on his confusing ones.

“Ay... What do you mean? I don’t have a girlfriend.” “But I saw you went out with a really pretty girl last Sunday at the mall, who is she then?”

There was an awkward pause. Ben slowly talked: “This may shock you... but she is my

niece. She’s 14. My brother wanted to be on ’16 and pregnant’ a while back. The point is... you were at the mall and why...”

“Oh my god! I wasn’t stalking you, I was just taking the twins out with Wrick and I saw you, and the girl and I.. I..” Color frantically explaining herself, horrified that he had mistaken her for a stalker just one week after they’d met. Not a great start for a beautiful friendship..

Ben just chuckled and waved it off: “No, you’re not a stalker. I was just thinking that why didn’t you call me and we could have gone together. But nevermind, stop blushing, you look ridiculous.” He placed a hand on her raging red cheek and that definitely didn’t help stop the blushing. “Ridiculously cute.” He added. A vein may have popped on Color’s cheek just then.

Color avoided his blue and endearing gaze. “Thank god... I just...” Out of the cornor of her eyes, she saw the “charismatic monster” leaning closer to her face and she reckoned it was not because he wanted to feel her moustache. But Color was not ready for it, whatever it was, as she used her ninja reflex to steer her head to the side and changed the subject: “Uh, so, wouldn’t your band... like worry you’re not there. After all you’re the lead singer.”

Ben cleared his throat and there was a hint of disapointment when he spoke: “Not really. They’re fine. It’s just sound check. A guy from my band can sing too.” But he was not going to let this go. “Speaking of my band, you should come check us out. We play Thursdays at Pointers.”

“You already got a gig?”

“Nah, my brother owns the bar. He’s letting us play for free. You know, to get publicity.”

“Sure, I’d love to.” Color restrained herself from dancing with joy.

“OK, see you there. Is that your house? Big blue door?” 

“That’s the one.” Color turned back to face him, lingered and struggled to bid adieu: “So I guess this is goo...”

“Isn’t that your friend at the sound check?” Ben pointed behind Color.

She turned around wondering how did Juney get home so quick. But then Color realized it was just Boran wandering by the opposite block of Color’s house. Ben didn’t know they were twins yet. She said to Ben: “No, that’s just his brother. He stayed home and probably...” , but turned around again to make sure that it was Boran. Color didn’t have the greatest eyesight.

Right then she saw the one thing she hoped had not popped up in her house for the last 15 years.

What Boran was holding in his hand, Color had been to her Dad’s office playing solitare enough times to know, was not a Smith & Wesson bubble blaster.