Chapter Five

About an hour later, we were on our way to the party and I was ridiculously nervous. I could see it now, sitting alone in a corner because I'm too scared to talk to anyone. Everyone walking around getting drunk while I bite my nails down to nubs.

I couldn't even pay attention to what Allie was saying, I was so nervous.

And to my dismay, we pulled into the driveway ten minutes later.

People were already everywhere. Talking. Wrestling. Making out.

Oh fuck.

Allie climbed out of the car, so I followed in suit, and walked a few steps behind her up to Charlie.

"Hey babygirl," he greeted her.

She smiled and kissed his cheek, "Where's Mason? I figured he could introduce Auden around and whatnot."

He pointed his thumb behind him at a group of younger men trying to start a fire.

"Mason!" She called, and immediately he turned around and ran over to us.

"I have a job for you," she explained. "Introduce Auden to people and keep her entertained."

At the mention of my name, he smiled at me, and then said, "Yes ma'am." Before taking my arm and leading me away.

"So have you ever been to a party like this?" He asked as he started walking toward a barn.

I shook my head, still speechless.

"Well you're gonna have fun tonight. Be careful, though. Some of the guys here are a little, uh, aggressive. I guess."

Oh great.

We walked inside the barn and he grabbed me a cold beer out of a cooler, opening it before handing it to me.

I hate beer, but I chose to drink it anyways. At least if I'm drinking I'll get less stressed out.

He sat down on a bale of hay with a few other people sitting around that area, so I sat with him.

"So I can already tell you, I'm not going to remember any names tonight," I announced softly.

He laughed, "I know."

"And I'm not going to sleep with any of the guys here, if that's what you were insinuating earlier."

"I didn't expect you to, besides, you're very pretty. So what kind of man would I be if I let one of these idiots take you."

"Hey!" An already drunk man in a leather jacket shouted. "Mason, you can't keep all the pretty girls to yourself."

"Shut up, Norman," Mason retorted, putting his arm around me.

'Norman' walked over to us, "Come on sweetheart, let's go dance."

I shook my head slowly, "No thank you.."

"Do you think it was an offer or something?" He snorted, grabbing my arm.

Mason jumped up and pushed him back, "Dude. I think Liz is looking for you."

The big man glared at Mason, but miraculously walked away when he heard the name Shawn being called in the distance.

"Like I said, aggressive."

We spent the better part of the next few hours drinking and just making small talk in the barn. Then music changed from country to something that almost sounded like rap, but slow.

"Do you want to dance with me?" Mason asked softly.

I nodded, and we walked over to a group of couples dancing.

He wrapped his muscular arms around my waist and started singing along, "Let's get drunk and fall in Tennessee love..."

Oh god. I think I like this guy. Fuck.