Chapter Nine

I sat with my phone in my hand, eagerly waiting for a text back from Mason.

God, I must seem so desperate right now.

I'm not even sure why I cared about how I seemed, it's not like anyone was with me.

To distract myself, I found the remote and surfed through the tv channels until I thought something that caught my eye.

What the fuck...

On the tv screen in front of me was my father trying to cover his face and run into our large home.

The banner on the bottom of the screen simply displayed, "Self-Made Millionaires Secret Mistress Uncovered."

"What the actual fuck," I said out loud to myself.

As I watched the screen, I was informed that my father had been secretly seeing this slut for the past decade without anyone finding out. The sneaky bastard even had three kids with her. So much for all those "important" business trips he had been going on.

Suddenly my phone began to vibrate, and instead of it being a text from Mason, what I saw shocked me. It was a call from my older sister, Natalie, whom I haven't spoken to since she moved out two years prior.

"Auden?" She immediately called as I answered.

I hesitated, "Yeah."

"Are you seeing what's on tv?"

"Mhmm."

"I can't fucking believe it. That stupid fucker. How did he keep it from us, how could he do that to mom."

"I mean, it's not like our family isn't the epitome of dysfunctional. To be completely honest, I don't care what he does. It doesn't surprise me that he has that few morals."

"I... Why doesn't this bother you? We have three siblings we have never heard of. Dad has been lying to us for-"

"Natalie, he has been lying to us our entire lives. Have you not gotten used to it? Anyways, I have to go."

The last thing I wanted was to be in the middle of my family's bullshit. As far as I'm concerned, I didn't just leave that town, I left them too.

As soon as I hit end, I received a text back from Mason.

Him: Hey, sorry things have been busy at the shop. What's up? Having a nice day.

Me: Don't worry about it, and oh you know, just uncovering bullshit family secrets. The usual. Lol.

Him: Well, it sounds like you could use a break. Get dressed, we're gonna go get dinner.

I couldn't help but smile as I told him okay.

I jumped up and ran to my room, quickly finding something halfway decent to wear, which ended up being a pair of ripped blue skinny jeans, and a black tank top with a black and grey tribal print sweater. Once I was dressed, I pulled my hair into a messy bun leaving a few strands to roam free, then out on eyeliner, mascara, and lipstick and decided that was good enough.

Once I was finally dressed and ready, I sat back down in the living room and pulled up an article about my father. Disgust filled me completely as I read it until there was a knock on the door.

Piece of shit.