Chapter Fourteen

Mason and Charlie arrived at Carolynn's house about three hours later. Charlie spoke to Allie and after speaking to his mother and Tyler, Mason came to me.

"Ready to go eat?" he asked with a tired smile on his face.

I chewed on my lower lip, "We can wait until another night. You look like you could use some sleep.

He shook his head, "Nonsense. Lets go, besides I want to talk to you, if you don't mind."

I gave him a half smile, told Allie I was going with him, and then we were off.

He took us to a small diner in the middle of town, where we sat in a back booth by ourselves. The waitress took our drink orders then left us to look at the menu.

"Picky eater?" he asked all of the sudden.

I shrugged, "It's just kind of depends. If that makes sense."

He smiled, then took my menu from me.

The waitress came back and he ordered chicken fettuccine alfredo for the both of us.

"It's the best thing they have here, and isn't really something most picky eaters dislike," he explained.

"So what was it you wanted to talk about?" I questioned once she was gone.

"Well, it was more I wanted to ask you to do something for me."

"What would that be?"

"I want you to not leave town for a while. For your safety, I mean. Nico saw you at Charlie's, and he and I agreed that you might not be safe on your own. He's not the kind of man that forgets faces, if that makes sense to you."

The fuck? My safety?

"Well, how would I be safer here when he knows where I am?"

"Because, Auden, we're here. I know you don't really know any of us, and you have no reason to trust us, but I promise we will keep you safe no matter what. If you want to leave, no one can stop you, but I want you to know we can protect you here easier. If it's just that you aren't comfortable staying with Charlie and Allie, I've got a spare bedroom, or if you want to be around another woman your age, I can arrange that too. I just don't want anything to happen to you. I like you."

"Well, I don't have a real destination anyways, so I guess staying for a while longer wouldn't hurt anything."

He smiled at me from across the table, "Thank you."

The waitress came moments later with our food.