Chapter Thirteen

I sat quietly as the two women talked, until my thoughts were interrupted by a suggestion from Allie.

"Tyler, why don't you take Auden for a walk?" She smiled.

Without words, Tyler stood up and walked over to the door waiting for me to follow. So I did.

We began walking toward the woods. Or, he walked and I followed.

"You know, you don't have to," I muttered.

He stopped and looked at me, "I don't mind. My brother likes you. He doesn't often like women, the way he likes you I mean."

"You don't seem very fond of me."

He ran his hand over his head, "Alright, I'll be honest. I don't trust you. I don't want my brother hurt over some girl who just sees him as a passing phase. It's nothing against you, but my brother and my mom are all I have. I refuse to lose either of them."

"T-Tyler... Your brother and I aren't anything serious. We aren't anything. I don't think he likes me as much as you say. I think I probably shouldn't even stay here, despite how attracted I am to your brother."

"I thought you were supposed to be a smart girl."

He started walking again before I could even begin a response, so I followed silently.

My phone buzzed in my pocket.

Him: I'm sorry our date got messed up. I promise we'll go out when I get back. You look beautiful. I forgot to tell you.

I chewed on my lip.

Tyler looked over his shoulder at me.

He laughed quietly, "That was him wasn't it?"

"Uh, yeah," I answered hesitantly.

"Hopeless romantic."

I laughed.

The rest of the walk there was pointless small chat every once in a while, but no real conversation.