Chapter Eighteen

(Attached: Alex crying)

ALEX'S P.O.V

Upon reflection, I admit, running away probably wasn't the smartest move.

"Wait, so can you please break it down for me Alex?"

I groan. "I don't fucking know! It just felt like the right thing to do at the time. I panicked. I thought she was dead." I'm grasping at straws.

Sophie throws me an incredulous look. "Remind me never to die in front of you. You'll just ditch me before I can breathe my final breath."

I make a lot of bad decisions, but this one is in the top five. I was supposed to drop her home tonight, I was supposed to run over to her and carry her to the nurse like a hero, but instead, I kicked Matthews in the ribs one last time (for good luck), and sprinted.

"She may even be dead for all we know!" Soph says drily.

Oh shit. I find Spencer's contact in my favourites and wait impatiently for the call to dial.

"Hi! You've reached Spencer. If it's Jordan, Alex or Red, you know where to find me. If it's anyone else, piss off. Unless its mum or dad, then sorry, I'm safe, and drinking responsibly."

I roll my eyes. Red? He must've set up that voice mail this afternoon. Oh lord, wait till Jordan pieces that together.

Jordan.

"Soph, I'm going out. Don't set the house on fire!" I press a kiss on her forehead and ruffle her hair.

My little Soph is the closest thing I have to a sister, and I'd go to the ends of the earth to make her smile. She's my soft spot. Her mum works a lot, and my dad sleeps a lot. So I help her with homework and she, well, helps me with my problems.

Soph wipes her forehead playfully and shuts the door behind me with a smile. She's a good kid.

I call Spence a few more times. What if he's grieving over his dead sister's body in the emergency ward? It'd be all my fault. Jesus Christ, the moment I build something with her, I mess it up.

I pull up outside the Reid household the same time as an unfamiliar car does. Hiding in my car, I slide down the seat to remain unseen.

Jordan Reid hobbles out of the car. I'm about to run out and help her to the door when I see her cast a flirtatious smile to the driver of the vehicle. I thought I sorted out that asshole.

I roll down the window to listen to the conversation. Am I actually being this creepy? The things this girl make me do.

"Well then, thank you boyfriend."

Puke.

"Anything for you girlfriend."

Double puke.

I have to wait until Reid closes the front door so Matthews would drive away.

I roll my eyes. "Wow, what a great boyfriend." I mutter under my breath.

The Reid house is modern, yet homely. It is surrounded by a healthy and flourishing garden, courtesy of Mr Reid. It has three cars outside. Two Jeeps for the parents, a sports car for Spencer and a yellow bicycle for Jordan. She doesn't drive, she's always been weird like that.

"Why are you sitting outside of my house like a fucking stalker?"

I jump in my seat and hit my head on the roof of my car. "You startled me!" I accuse, rubbing the top of my skull.

Spence chuckles and pulls me out of my hideout.

"What are you doing here man?" He asks as we walk through the door.