Chapter 9

Just her luck! She had seen this bike in the college parking lot so many times and sighed dreamily. It was the specimen of perfection engineering. She had read all about it in her cousin's auto magazine as well. She wanted to know who it belonged to.

Of all people, Ranvijay!

He waved his hand in front of her face and said, "I said what are you doing here..."

She realized where she was standing and she gulped. She said in a rush, "Oh God! Um we need to get out of here before anyone sees me."

He asked suspiciously, "Why? What did you do?"

Despite her urgency to get away from the area, she giggled at his tone. She said, "Nobody knows I work here and I'd like to keep it that way."

He peered behind her and read her t-shirt to say, "Then it's probably not the wisest idea to wear a t-shirt with the brand logo and roam around."

She had forgotten that she had tied her hair in a ponytail and that the logo was now clearly visible. She pulled her hair down and said, "I have a plan."

Before he could ask what the plan was, she hopped onto his bike behind him but in the opposite direction, her back leaning on his. She then smiled happily and said, "There! Now no one will know!"

She felt his muscles stiffen as she rested on him easily. She asked innocently, "You got my back?"

At that, he let out a smile. She couldn't see it. But she could hear it when he said, "I got your back." He relaxed and started the bike. He then killed the engine and looked back to offer something. She looked down and saw the black helmet. She took it and asked, "Isn't this yours?"

He nodded and said simply, "Yes."

"Well then what are you going to wear?"

He shrugged and started the bike again. She said, "Wait tell me!"

He turned his head slightly so that she could hear his answer properly.

"I'd rather you're safe."

A few minutes later as they drove along, he asked, "Why shouldn't anyone know you work there?"

She sighed and said, "Long story."

He said in a casual tone, "Well, it's a long ride."

She looked at the road as she left it behind and sped far, far away from it with each passing moment. She had last done this when she was a little girl and her father had taken her for long rides. She thought of her lovely dad and smiled.

She couldn't see Ranvijay's face. This made it easier. She didn't have to look at his brown eyes or that frown above it. She didn't even have to look at his sudden all black transformation. He looked...hot! She knew he was attractive but it was always the preppy sort of good looks that all the other girls opted for. Not her. Today, however, he looked like someone she would consider...What was wrong with her? Why was she thinking like a dork? Ranvijay! This was Ranvijay!

Just then, he said, "Why am I repeating myself to you today? Can't you hear me?"

In a moment of rare honesty, she said, "My dad. He wouldn't like it if he knew this was where I worked."

"Why not?"

She said, "Let's just say his plans for my future are a lot more...staid than this."

His tone a lot more careful, he asked, "Don't you get a say in the mapping of your own future?"

She said crossly, "You ask a lot of questions dude."

He pulled his back away from her in jest and asked with a smile, "I thought your friend was called Dude."

She shifted closer to him and rested her head on his. She had not felt this...comfortable in a long time. There was something steady about him. As though, he wouldn't go anywhere. As though, he'd always have her back.

She replied, "You're my friend too!"

He shot back, "Then we need another name. I strive to be unique."

She elbowed him lightly in the back and she heard a muffled laugh.

They stopped at a traffic signal and she looked around at the other vehicles absently without really focusing. Then she found something interesting to look at. She leaned away from him to look more closely. The girl in the car next to them was looking at Ranvijay with great appreciation. She looked their age. She might even be from their college. She looked familiar. She was really pretty with dark brown hair and flawless skin. She then caught Mahua looking at her and looked away shyly. Mahua giggled and waved at her. The car girl looked back at her.

Mahua pointed to herself and Ranvijay and shook her head with a mischievous grin. The girl broke into a beautiful smile. Mahua then pointed at him again and asked her if she thought he was hot through gestures. The girl giggled and nodded.

She shifted in her seat and said to Ranvijay, "Um...someone thinks you're hot."

He looked back and said, "You're not so bad yourself."

She swatted his shoulder and said, "Not me. Look. Her!" and she pointed at the girl.

He frowned and looked back to say, "What on earth are you....whoa...she's hot..."

Mahua felt a strange twinge in her stomach. Had he ever thought of her as pretty? She shook her head and rearranged her features into a smile. She pulled out her cell phone, a book and a pen from her bag. She copied out something and held it up for the girl to see. She read it quickly and flashed Mahua a thumbs-up sign.

Ranvijay pulled the book from her hand to see what she had written.

Even in a rush, her writing was artistic. She had written his number and titled it "Mr.Hottie."

Author's Note: I KNOW! - S