09

Ali

I walk downstairs to see Ashton running up the stairs before stopping when he sees me. I just keep walking knowing he's about to yell at me.

"Wait, Ali! Before you leave for work, can I talk to you?" Ashton turns around running after me.

"Why? You are just gonna yell at me, it's how its been the past two weeks." I spit grabbing onto the door knob but he puts his hand on me to stop me.

"Exactly, I have been a jerk. I was talking to mum and she made me realize I was overreacting about nothing. I'm so sorry, you are right, you can be friends with whoever." He rambles and I could tell he was truly sorry.

"What about the way you freaked out when you saw the tests? Or-" He cuts me off.

"Before I saw you in Michael, I said that I needed air. I try to protect you so you don't get hurt. I love you and I care about you so I felt like I was to blame because I wasn't there for you." Ashton explains to him and I hug him almost instantly.

"I love you too." I smile glad that I was talking to Ashton normally, without any yelling, again.

"I hope you know that I wasn't kidding about the dating thing, which I know you understand. But, you should probably get to work." He laughs.

"Yeah, definitely. And trust me no dating." I say a little disappointed before leaving to work.

//

I serve a table and wash down another before heading to the back. It was just about seven so open mic time was about to start, making the coffee shop pretty busy.

I am lucky enough to be done for the night, exception of one last job. Emily, even though she does not work here, runs into the break room.

"Guess who's here?" She exclaims in a way that you couldn't tell if her news was good or bad.

"I swear if Alex is here-" I say between gritted teeth, I wasn't gonna hesitate and kill him if he was.

"Michael." She cheers dragging me out into the main area. I take off my apron looking around and easily finding the red haired boy who stood out in the crowd. He had a guitar on his back he was wondering around kind of lost but you could tell he was happy to be here.

"Hey? What time is it?" I question.

"Seven on the dot." Emily tells me and I run up to the stage like I'm supposed to.

"Hey everybody! Welcome to open mic, I'm glad you all are here!" I say energetically into the microphone. Michael's head snaps in my direction with a smile present on his face. "So, you know come up when you want." I quickly say before leaving the stage and heading over to Michael.

"What are you doing here?" I exclaim happy that he actually showed.

"Thought I'd check this out. In my defense, I didn't know you were working tonight." Michael explains.

"Well the thing is, I didn't know you could sing or play guitar." I gesture to his guitar on his back.

"I wouldn't say I'm any good, but you know, whatever." He chuckles before looking up at the stage as someone finishes. "Here goes nothing." He takes a deep breath as walks towards the stage.

"Good luck!" I shout as turns his head smiling before he gets on stage.

"Uh, hey, I'm Michael and I'll be singing Shirtsleeves by Ed Sheeran." Michael speaks.

Everyone cheers before Michael begins strumming his guitar. He was amazing so far and it's only been a few seconds.

"I can taste salt water and if I blink again, you'll be sinking in. So we'll learn to swim in the oceans you made." Michael songs and in that moment I instantly fell in love with his voice.

"You know before I came to get you, I was talking to him." Emily comes up to me , standing by my side. "He said he picked this song for you."

"He said he didn't know I was working today." I argue.

"He asked Violet."

I was processing as I listen to Michael's amazing voice and guitar playing.

Michael

I focused on Ali as I performed. I lied about not knowing she worked tonight, I found out and I picked the song.

"I'll hold ya and you'll think of him and pretty soon you'll be floating away."

I continue to sing and notice Emily tell Ali something and Ali immediately lighting up. I knew what Emily told her and I wanted to strangle her for it.

"When salted tears won't dry I'll wipe my shirtsleeves under your eyes. These hearts will be flooded tonight I'll wipe my shirtsleeves under your eyes."

She had the biggest smile on her face.

"Your lips, your mouth, your thighs, your back, you drive me wild. Tonight, the fact is I... I'm on my way home, I'm on my way home. I lied, I tried to cry but I'm, I'm drowning in the oceans you made." I lightly strum my guitar as I finish up the song. "When salted tears won't dry I'll wipe my shirtsleeves under your eyes. These hearts will be flooded tonight I'll wipe my shirtsleeves under your eyes. Your eyes, your eyes, your eyes, your eyes, your eyes."

I finish and the crowd erupted in cheers. I've never really performed before and it made me feel accomplished and like I could actually do something. I get off stage another person getting on but I don't really pay attention as I walk over to the two short girls.

"Holy shit, you can perform." She exclaims in complete shock as her arms fly around me.

"Thanks, shortie. I didn't know how that would turn out since it was my first time performing." I laugh a little surprised myself.

"Well you did amazing." She looks up at me.

So much was running through my mind before I did without thinking. I kissed her. I cupped her cheeks and attaching our lips, she kissing back almost immediately. I disconnect, my lips lingering for a few moments.

"I'll see you later, shortie." I mumble against her lips.

"Bye Clifford." She says quietly before I walk to the door to head home