Chapter Twenty Seven

Riley's POV

It was about two weeks after my grandmother's death when I went back to my normal life. School, friends, and everything else seemed to be going smoothly, but many sad eyes that say I'm sorry come my way all too often. I don't known how so many people know about what happened (maybe the school told?) or why so many people care. It was a weird welcoming.

Despite all the oddities, Jack has helped to get me back on my feet, and Lily and Gilinsky were right by his side.

Right now, I'm at school, waiting for the day to end. It's been a long day filled with multiple tests and note taking. The agonizing last few minutes of the day approaches, the ticking of the clock taunting us all.

Finally, the bell goes off, and the students exit the building in a hurry. I made a quick stop at my locker before heading out to my car, where I find Jack waiting for me.

I walk up to him, a smile creeping its way onto my face. "Hey," I say and give him a quick kiss.

"Hey!" He says with excitement.

I give him a puzzled look as I open my car door. "What's got you so jolly?" I ask.

He shrugs his shoulders and hops in the passenger seat. "Just happy to see my bea-utiful girlfriend!" He says and pecks my cheek.

I give him another curious look. "Are you high?"

"What? No!" He chuckles.

"Okay," I say with a small laugh.

I begin to make my journey home, admiring all of the colors of the changing leaves. They remind me of a time when I was young, a time when there was no care or worry in the world. They remind me of an ocean of colors, the vibrant leaves making waves of crisp air. I see a house where a young girl is playing in the leaves, much like what I would've done at her age. The air smells fresh, and I wish I could make the fresh scent into a candle, and keep it for a rainy day.

I see my house come into view, my dad raking the leaves in the front yard. My parents have been much more loving lately - they even went out of their way to have a family dinner a couple days ago.

I ask Jack if he wants to stay for a bit, but he declines. I don't question him, so I take him home before arriving at my house.

I open the door and a sweet aroma invades my senses and I see my mother baking in the kitchen.

"Hey mom," I say. "What'cha baking?"

"I'm making a chocolate cake with coconut cream frosting," she says. She begins to mix ingredients into a bowl and I leave her alone to go to my room and nap. It's been a long day.

<><><>

So I was thinking about how far I've come with this book and i decided that I can't just leave it to rot so here I am

I really wanna finish this book and I've got it all planned out so yay :)

And I also know this is short but I'm a lil rusty so my apologies :)

But until next time

Hasta luego