Chapter Eleven

"Lilly! I'm here!" I yell as I climb the steps to the upper level.

"You know where I am," she calls as I reach the top step. I open her door to see her nose in a science book while snapping gum. "Hey," she says.

"Hey, what's up?" I put my bag on the floor and sit on her bed.

"Eh. Nothing much. How's Jack?" She raises her eyebrows and nudges my arm.

I roll my eyes. "He's fine."

"Is he fine, or is he fine," she says making a wave gesture with her arm.

"Oh my god, Lilly," I shake my head. "He's doing fine." She laughs and reaches for a piece of gum on her desk.

"Here," she throws it at me and I sloppily catch it in my arms.

"Thanks." I unwrap it and pop it in my mouth. We get to work on our science homework, asking each other questions along the way.

"Hey," Lilly says, "so there's this party this weekend. You wanna go? It's at Sam's."

"Uh, no. I'm good," I say, recalling the last time I went to a party. It didn't end well considering I was nearly raped.

"Oh c'mon," she whines. "I'm sure Jack will be there."

"I'm not too sure about that. He doesn't like big groups of people."

She sighs. "Well I'm going, so if you make up your mind, tell me."

I groan. "Fine."

*

Jack's POV

"C'mon man, you gotta go," Gilinsky says. He's trying to get me to go to Wilkinson's party, but he knows about my social anxiety. I can't be around that many people.

"No, I'm not going," I firmly say.

"Dude, Sam throws the best parties, you can't just not go."

"Watch me," I say.

He sighs. "Alright, what if I get Riley to go? Will you go?"

"She's not gonna want to go," I say. I know how Riley is, and I bet she'd rather watch The Nightmare Before Christmas on repeat, or dance to undance able music.

"But what if she does?"

"Fine. I'll go if Riley goes, got it?"

He smiles. "Deal."

There's no way in hell I'm going to a party.