Chapter Two

The way back to my house was cold, forcing me to blast my heat in my car from the hospital. I park my warm car in the rocky drive way before entering my house. A note was on the kitchen counter, reminding me about a buisness party that we were invited to. I need to be ready by five o'clock. I look at the green numbers on the digital clock showing I have just a sliver of over an hour to get ready.

I drag my back-pack up to my room, me having loads of homework on a Friday. Thank you science teacher, I sarcastically think.

I sit on my purple-sheeted bed which I neglected to make neat this morning.

***

I hear my parents car pull into the driveway as I put my phone away, saying goodbye to Lilly.

"Riley, you ready?" My mother's voice calls from the stairway.

"Yup! Be right down," I call back.

With my phone in tight grasp around my fist, I trudge down the steps. My parents are dressed in formal attire, and I look a tad less spiffy with my white Los Angeles t-shirt and a flannel tied around my waist.

"Riley," my mom scolds. "We told you to be ready."

"I am," I say.

"No, no, no. You cannot go to a buisness par-"

"Beth, honey, it's fine. We're already late," my dad calms her.

"Alright, lets go then," she sighs.

We all get in the car to go the party.

***

The ride was rather short, and I sit on a red couch with mysterious stains watching golf with an elderly man. Little talks are heard from around the house with me thankfully not being involved in one of those awkward get-to-know conversations.

I go into the kitchen and ask someone where the bathroom is. They tell me its upstairs with no specific direction. I find the stairs and walk down the hallway, looking through all the doors until I find the right door. One room catches my eye, though. Its a boy's room, that's for sure, but a signed basketball drags my attention to the room before I know what I'm doing, and the door closes behind me.

I pick the round ball up in my hands, the sounds of police sirens booming outside. I don't bother with it; its probably just passing by.

I look at the ball, noticing the autograph written in black marker: Michael Jordan.

My lips part and my eyes widen. This is the most fascinating thing I've seen for a while, like this is a Michael Jordan autographed ball. I'm not much of a basketball player, but I'm a sucker for things like this. The only thing I can think is holy shit-

"Jack, what the hell did you do this time!?" A loud male voice takes me attenion away from the basketball.

"Nothing!" A younger man insists.

"You arrived in a cop car!"

"So?"

"Tell me!"

"I'm not telling you shit."

"Go to your room, young man!"

A silence is heard and foot steps are heard coming up the steps. "Thank you, Jack, for ruining our party," a woman now says.

The door behind me slams shut and I whip around with the orange leather ball still in my hands.

"Who the hell are you," Jack Johnson sneers. Jack Johnson.

"Riley. From school," I say

"Great now get the fuck out of my--is that my ball?"

"Yeah."

"And why do you have it?" His eyes have a testifying glow, which makes me feel small and presured as if I was in an interrogation.

"I don't know. I guess I like historical things."

"Well if you like historical things my grandpa's watching golf in the living room if you want to check that out."

I scoff and shake my head. He walks towards me and tries to swipe the ball out of my hands, but I don't let him. I smirk and say, "This is in pretty good condition y'know." I don't know where my confidence is coming from. I shouldn't be doing this if I want to leave alive.

"Yeah, I'd like to keep it that way," he hints and sits on his squeeky bed.

I thrust the ball at his gut, and he catches it, abruptly. I sit on his bed, finding more unknown confidence to sit next to him. I scoot backwards until my back hits the wall.

"So what'd you do," dare I ask.

A smirk plays on his lips. "Stole a pack of soda from Cumbies."

I laugh. "Why!"

"I don't know! But the cops found me and brought me back here." He's now laughing too.

"No charges?"

"Nope."

I chuckle. "And your dad sounded pissed!"

His face turns serious and I think I hit a nerve. "That man is not my father."

"Oh," is all I say. "Hey, not to be rude or anything, but this party sucks."

I see him smile. "Thanks."

"No problem," I say. "If we had our own party, it would be so much better." I wasn't serious, but the devilish smile plastered on his face tells me he didn't know that.

An hour later, we were playing our own mixture of music with a bowl of buttery popcorn on the floor. I was on the floor trying to throw a piece of popcorn in my mouth while laying down, failing every time, followed by a laugh from Jack. I throw one at him and he catches it.

"Okay, that's not fair," I stubbornly say.

He was about to say something, but Jack's door opens, revieling a woman. "Riley, your parents are leaving now, if you would like to join them."

I groan and sit up. "Okay."

She closes the door and her footsteps are heard down the rickety stairs.

I stand and brush the yellow popcorn crumbs off of me. Jack stands up and walks towards the door. "Well, bye I guess," I say.

" Yeah, see ya later." Jack opens the door for me and I walk into the hallway. "Oh, hey wait!"

I turn around and raise my eye browns as a way to continue. He comes up to me and hands me a scrap of paper with numbers scribbled on it. "It's my number in case you get bored or whatever," he says with his hands in his pockets and shrugged shoulders.

"Thanks," I smile and he goes back to his room and shuts the door.

Later that night I called him. I wasn't bored, but I felt like I needed to hear his voice again.

<><><>

Riley is played by Ellen Paige and Lilly is played by Lilly from hannah montana lol. Dont judge.

Vote & comment! Thx

sincerely,
ur dork♡