Chapter Fifteen: Shopping

A/n: pic above is Elliot. I'm still not completely sure who should be Tommy so meh. Yeah I'm back (kind of). Chapters will more than likely be a bit shorter than they were before, because I am busier now on weekends (which is when I typically have time to write). I'm getting over that bout of writers block, and depression, thank god and hopefully I'll be able to write more.

/-/

One Month Later

Things with my biological family were going great. I had tons of things in common with Ingrid and Alphonse, Dominik's two other children, and we'd Skyped a few times. Turns out they lived not too far from Simone. And if I hadn't been separated from Dominik, I probably would have grown up knowing Simone, Tom, and Bill, because oddly enough she actually worked with Magdelina at some point and they were once close friends.

And speaking of Simone, she'd offered for Mark (and of course his dog) to live with her and Gordan while he studied. He was staying in the same room we'd shared last Christmas and seemed to be settling in well.

We were in the process of moving into a larger house. One with more bedrooms, so Ronnie could have her own room, and so there would be extra guest rooms. The idea of the four of us living in two separate houses was quickly dismissed; Tom and Bill weren't quite ready to be apart, even if they lived next door to each other, like that. Maybe in a couple years. Carolyn and I didn't want to get between them, we understand how they felt and why they weren't ready.

Halloween was coming up, and Tommy and the Listing kids were so excited to go trick-or-treating, as Halloween isn't very much celebrated in Germany. We - that's Carolyn, Annie, and I - planned to buy costumes within the next week or so.

"Auntie Ellie, can I go the store with you?" Elliot asked me, in English. All those cartoons on Disney Jr. were starting to make much more sense to him and his siblings. "I asked Mommy and she say yes."

I looked over at Annie, who nodded her head in confirmation. "Sure. Go put your shoes on and we'll go in a couple minutes."

"Is it ok if I come too?" Asked Tommy and Annie said it was fine with her, and I agreed. Yesterday, Bill gave me two of his credit cards, knowing of my plans to go shopping for things we would need. He and the rest of the band were in the studio today recording one of the last three songs; as soon as they finished that, they would then have to choose which songs would actually make it onto the album.

"Do either of you need anything?" I asked Carolyn and Annie. Annie shook her head, as she had a mouth full of strawberry pop-tart, and Carolyn handed me a list written in orange crayon. "We should be back before supper, I want to stop at the house first. If anything comes up I'll text either one of you."

"Mike ist hier." Tommy informed me. Mike, Bill and Tom's PA, had been told by Bill to help me out today, mostly because I had no idea where to go, and which stores sold what.

"Great! Let's go!" I smiled and Elliot was the first to run out the door, followed by Tommy.

"If they give ya any trouble, lemme know." Annie waved as I left for the silver SUV parked in the driveway. I made sure Elliot was strapped in properly before I sat in the passengers seat, buckled my seat-belt, and gave Mike an idea of where I would need to go today. We would have to stop at a grocery store last to pick up a few things on the list Carolyn had given me.

"If I'm good, can I have a toy?" Elliot asked, giving me his best puppy-eyed pout. He'd no doubt learned that from his sister, that's for sure. Or Bill. Probably Bill.

"Yes, if you're good. What about you, Tommy? Want anything?"

"Anything from Hot Topic," Tommy shrugged, "I haven't been there in a while."

Twenty minutes later, Mike pulled into the IKEA parking lot. I made sure to put the various credit cards, as well as my phone, into my pocket before hiding my purse (which held nothing of great importance anyway) under my seat. Call me strange all you want but that's what we do back home.

Tommy helped his nephew out of the vehicle, taking hold of Elliot's hand. Their relationship was so sweet and it was clear how much Tommy cared for the little boy. We made it inside safely, and with Mike's help, found what I needed. Next we went to Target, then Staples.

"As soon as we're done here, we'll go somewhere for lunch." I said to Elliot, who was complaining from his spot on Tommy's back.

"Yay! Can we go Burger King?!"

"We sure can!" I smiled, tossing four black Sharpies into the shopping cart. Most of the things I'd bought would be delivered to the new house tomorrow afternoon, because I'd planned on setting up one of the guest rooms and would be there anyways. Tommy volunteered to help, which was nice of him.

Bill: hey

Bill: how are things going? Annie told me you brought Elliot and Tommy

Me: great actually. We just finished and now we're at Burger King.

Bill: Elliot picked?

Me: yep

Bill: that does not surprise me. He's addicted to the food there.

Bill: you aren't busy tonight, are you?

Me: no, why?

Bill: just wondering 😏

Me: you're planning something.

Bill: maybe

Bill: maybe not

Bill: but go to hot topic. I need you to pick something up for me.

Me: lucky for you we're going there anyway. I want new shirts, and Tommy asked if we could go.

As soon as we were done eating Mike drove us to a Toys R Us, where Elliot found a remote controlled truck. It was nearly forty dollars, which was insane, but compared to what it would have cost in Nova Scotia, that was cheap for a toy like that. Elliot wanted to get the twins something they wouldn't feel left out, and chose a Cinderella doll for Lucy and a giant stuffed monkey for Jayson. It wasn't until we were waiting in line to pay when I noticed a little boy, about eight or nine years old (maybe even younger than that, to be honest) crying near the entrance. A middle aged woman (an obese one, not gonna lie) who looked nothing like him scolded him in what I assumed was Spanish. He kept shaking his head, refusing to leave.

"Sixty fifty-nine, please." The man behind the counter said and I handed him one of the credit cards. I glanced back at the doors, hoping to see the boy, but both him and the woman had left. "Looking for the boy?"

I nod, "Mhm."

"Well the woman, Ms Sanchez, works at the children's home down the street. The kid probably lives there."

"Children's home?" I ask stupidly, as if I don't know what it is.

"Just a fancy word for orphanage." He replied, shaking his head sadly. "I heard they're running out of space. Anyway, have a nice day."

"Thanks. You, too." I say, taking the receipt and plastic card while the boys take the toys.

That's when I knew I had to look into those children's homes and see what I could do to help.

/-/
and there you go!! Hope you've enjoyed the chapter, even if it was short.
What do you think Bill is up to? What Elena will do about what she saw and heard at Toys R Us?
Comment, vote, and thank you for reading!