14. Light in the night

Images of red flashed through her mind. The killing of innocent people, the death of her friends, her family.

Repeating.

Replaying over and over in her mind.

Weapons were being thrusted upon her, into her hand.

The man who was in charge pointed at her best friend who was now strapped to a chair - not ten meters way from Natalia.

"Do it now!" The voice spat at her.

Natalia looked at her friend, her only friend, sat helplessly across the room.

Natalia closed her eyes and shook her head. She couldn't do it.

"Do it Romanova or you'll be the one in the chair next time!"

Natalia raised her gun with her shaking arms as tears filled her eyes.

Her friend was screaming at her now but there was nothing she could do.

"Don't be weak Natalia!" She heard a voice snarl at her.

She closed her eyes and with trembling fingers pulled the trigger.

The screams stopped.

Natalia woke up screaming.

She untangled herself from the duvet before sitting up, gasping for breath.

She couldn't breath, she couldn't breath.

She began panicking, thrashing around, trying to escape, but she couldn't.
Not until she felt someone holding her, talking to her.

Natasha turned to see James. She instantly caught her breath and stopped moving.

She breathed.

"There you go, you're okay now", James spoke quietly.

Natalia looked at him and tried to say something but no words came to her.

When she tried to say something, she crumbled.

Her jaw began shaking as tears began falling down her cheeks. Natalia tried to cover her face with her hands but James gently pulled her into his lap so her head was resting against his chest.

Natalia couldn't seem to stop the tears even as James rocked her gently whispering in her ear. He held her close, helping her feel safe. No one had ever been there for her after a nightmare before.

Her tears finally seemed to slow down but even then, James continued to hold her.

After a while Natalia spoke quietly.
"The nightmares aren't normally that bad", she whispered.

James kissed her forehead gently.
"It's okay", he told her.

"No one has ever been there when I wake up", she continued.

James gently moved her chin so she was looking at him.
"I'm here now."

Natalia smiled weakly before moving to press a soft kiss against James's lips.

"Thank you", she said quietly.

James smiled.
"You don't need to thank me, I'll always be here."

He held Natalia tightly as she placed her head in the crook of him neck.

"Don't let go", Natasha said quietly.

"I won't", James promised.

"Not ever."