Chapter 31

It's really long. Sorry. - Megan.

John ran into the Oswald household. He didn't even open his mouth before he heard the fateful "She's not here." from Dave, shattering his hopes that maybe she was back already. He was praying that would be the case.

It was already seven pm. It had been dark since three because of the damn winter, and it was minus-three outside. And yet Clara was still not home. The snow had been settled on the ground for two straight days now and it was meant to snow again tonight.

They had been looking since the lunchtime, trying to see where she could have possibly gone. It was worrying to say the least, but they were concerned. By now the police had already got involved. A pregnant girl who disappeared seemed to be a priority and they were crowding around the house.

John walked slowly in to the rest of the living room, leaning against the wall from the lack of places to sit that were occupied by policemen.

"Tell us again what you saw." One man asked Mr Wind, who John hadn't even realised was there. They had all been out looking for hours now, trying to find any trace of Clara. Dave looked worried out of his skull and Gran was about to be sick. So was John. She still hadn't come back, and her phone wasn't even receiving anymore, as if she'd taken out the battery.

"I heard her scream at someone to stop something. By the time I saw the group, Clara was looking away and the boys were huddled around with two other girls. The place smelled strongly of alcohol, as if it had been dropped on the carpet. I asked her if she was okay, but she denied anything happening. I looked for the bottle after she'd walked away, but it seemed the boy with it must have scattered." Mr Wind said slowly. He looked so torn, and it was clear to everyone around that people were worried sick.

Everyone in the Oswald and Smith family knew something was up with the two, but no-one questioned John being there. He looked terrified even so.

"She wasn't anywhere nearby." John mumbled, making everyone turn to him. "It's freezing outside though, and..." He couldn't even finish his sentence.

Dave looked up at him, his eyes red around the edges which showed he had been crying. John had never seen him look so scared before, and it worried him.

"I'm sorry Sir, but we have to tell you..." An officer said to Dave hesitantly, "After thirty-two hours it will be counted as a runaway case and discarded. She is in the high risk category, so we will continue to look, but if she doesn't come back before the night is over then there is a high chance she could..."

No-one was even going to ask what the end of that sentence would be and no-one wanted to know.

"I'll go back out and look." John quickly volunteered, looking around as he began to leave the house. He'd already been searching for a long time and he felt so useless.

"No, John you shouldn't..." Dave protested, looking to John in a plea. Despite everything, no-one could have questioned just how fearful Dave was right then. He looked like he'd already lost all hope.

"There's no point staying here." John replied sorrowfully. "I have to try." He took one last glance at the silent room, unsure of what he was waiting for.

"I'm looking too." Mr Wind declared softly, standing up, his coat in his hand as he put it on quickly. "Better than just one, eh?"

John looked to him and nodded, waiting for him to get to the door before they walked out of the house together.

They stood at the edge of the driveway, looking out into the cold darkness. It really was absolutely freezing. "We looked everywhere nearby. The park, school, streets, fields. If you find her anywhere soon, give us a ring." John said to Sir, nodding with him as they went in the opposite directions, running.