Chapter 43

11th April 2023

"Amy!" Clara shouted, running across the crowded bar to give her friend a huge hug. "Happy twenty-sixth birthday!" She screamed, grinning at Rory who was stood next to her and the rest of Amy's friend.

Despite it being Amy's birthday, Clara was wearing something extra eye-catching. Her dress was red and short, sure to catch the eye of many guys and her red lipstick was too.

"Thank you my tiny idiot!" Amy shouted back, clearly already halfway to drunk. That would explain why Rory was only drinking a teeny bit.

Clara walked over to hug Rory, ignoring the man at the corner of the group. She could still have a good time pretending he wasn't there.

As she hugged Rory, he whispered in her ear, "you two still not talking then?"

"Nope." She said back simply, before pulling back and turning to the bar to order herself a drink. Finally, after marking far too many papers and books all the damn time, she could let herself go and have an amazing night with her friends.

She would start with vodka. That was always a good place to start.

By the third shot, Amy was screaming and dancing in the dance floor as Clara spoke to some guys at the bar, until they left to go elsewhere.

She could see him still sat at the bar, waiting to talk to her, but she was doing her best to avoid him. She didn't need to deal with him tonight.

But unfortunately, she hadn't moved quick enough and he'd managed to grab her arm to pull her to the side.

"Get off me!" Clara spat at him, shrugging his arm off as he raised his hands in defence.

"Look, I'm sorry okay?" John pleaded, seeing how angry Clara was.

They hadn't spoken in three whole months and she had intended to keep it that way.

"Oh yeah, you're so sorry. Like I believe that." Clara tried to turn from him, but he ran around in front of her, blocking her way.

"Jesus Christ, leave me alone!" Clara cried, wanting to slap him more than anything in that moment.

"I don't see why you won't talk to me! I apologised, I did everything!" He shouted over the loud music.

"No, you never apologised for what you actually did! You apologised for being a prick, but not for what you did." Clara shouted. "I hate you John."

He looked deeply hurt by that, but perhaps he knew he was at fault.

"I'm really sorry Clara. I should never have said that in front of Danny." He said apologetically.

"You should never have said it at all! Were you of your mind?" Clara shrieked.

"I was telling the truth! It's still the truth!" John shouted.

"What, that you love me? That's bullshit. You just wanted my relationship to fail because yours did too. Well congratulations. He left me because of you. Happy now?" Clara spat.

And before he had time to respond, she had ran off into the crowds, finding someone who she could dance with and hopefully take home tonight. Anything to piss John off.

In honesty, she'd worn a short dress to annoy him. She wanted him to watch her from afar as she could get anyone she wanted and he could do fuck all about it.

As the night went on, Clara lost track of what was happening and had moved onto tequila shots. The liquid burnt her throat, but made her head foggy.

She remembered her lips crashing against someone else's harshly as she basically melded their body into hers. She remembered them pressing her against the back wall as their hands wondered into places that made her gasp and groan.