Chapter 3

It's later that night and Dan is sitting in his room, bored shitless. Usually, he and Chris are out of the house by the time the sun sets, but tonight’s different because apparently Chris’ parents have decided that they need to have more ‘family-time’ together and therefore Chris has to stay at home the whole night – much to Dan’s dislike.
He isn’t mad at him for that though, of course not, because as much as he would have liked going out and hooking up with some girl, Dan’s sort of glad that Chris spends time with his family, since he hardly spends any with his own.

His mother works up until midnight most of the time and at that time Dan’s either in bed or out with Chris or PJ, so there’s a very slim chance of seeing her at all.
His dad isn’t around a lot either. He only works until five in the evening but besides that he’s on a lot of business trips and almost never at home.
At least his mum tries to pretend she cares for Dan by making dinner at the weekend and calling him from her office every now and then to make sure he’s alright, but other than that, Dan doesn’t really have a family.

He’s kind of glad though that they don’t bother about him, at least he can go in and out however he pleases without disturbing anyone. No one cares if he’s out until midnight on a school’s night or if he doesn’t come home at all on the weekend.

Dan’s family live is kind of really sad and not a family live at all, but PJ and Chris are more of a family to him anyway and well, it’s not like Dan misses anything. How could he anyway when he has no idea what a real family feels like?

So, since neither Chris nor PJ have time to do anything and Dan really can’t be bothered to go out on his own, he decides to finally text Phil and give him his address.

“hey phil. thought i should finally send you my address so you won’t have trouble finding my house tomorrow. :3 -dan”

Dan reads through the message a few more times, changing small things about it until he’s kind of satisfied with how it sounds. After adding his address and hitting ‘send’, he throws his phone to the side and leans back on his bed, sighing in exasperation. He still has to think about how to seduce Phil.

An hour later and Phil still hasn’t replied to Dan’s text, which really isn’t surprising at all. Judging by everything Dan has learnt about the boy on Monday, he is shy as hell and doesn’t talk much unless he is asked a question. Of course he isn’t going to start texting Dan of all people.

-

Dan has changed his shirt at least four times in the last half an hour and he isn’t so sure why. Of course he wants to make a sort of good expression on Phil, but it’s not like the boy doesn’t know how he dresses and acts in school. Certainly he is not going to expect Dan to be any different at home and that’s maybe another reason why Dan shouldn’t bother so much. It's a bit suspicious if he acts not like himself at all.
But then again, how would Phil know about Dan’s usual behaviour? From what Dan has heard, the boy spends all of his time in school either with listening to everything the teacher says and constantly taking notes or he sits in the library during break, just how Dan found him on Monday.

Dan really shouldn’t care so much about his outfit or his hair. It's just Phil, for god’s sake.

-

The doorbell rings at exactly 5pm and Dan’s at the front door only half a minute later. (Not that he’s been anticipating Phil’s arrival. He hasn’t.)

“Hello Phil,” Dan greets politely, pushing the door ajar for him to step inside. The boy looks a hell lot nervous and scared and Dan feels a little bit guilty because it’s obvious him who Phil’s scared of – for whatever reason, really.