Chapter 1: Escaping The Walls

-Nashi P.O.V-
It was cold outside. But I didn't want to leave just yet.
Just a little longer.
"Nashi! Come inside! It's going to rain soon!" I heard Spetto calling out to me. I ignored her, and continued to stare at it. The beautiful tombstone that held my mother. I sighed, and and began to walk back, my hands in my jean pockets. As I reached the glass doors of the garden, Spetto opened them and welcomed me inside. She shook her head at me, annoyed at my behaviour.
"What do you think you're gonna get out of doing that all day?" She asked, checking if I was ok. I shrugged, and awkwardly glanced to the side as she put her hands all over me.
"I don't know..." I muttered.
"I know we let you wear these clothes around the house, but your father's coming home tonight. He wants to have dinner with you."
"Dad's coming home?" I asked, surprised. "I haven't seen him for weeks..."
"I know," Spetto said, smiling. "But he works so he can pay for this house. For you."
"Yeah yeah, I get it-"
"Now come on darling," she said, interrupting me. "Let's get you ready for tonight."

I waited patiently as a maid tied up my fuchsia pink hair in a neat bun.
"Are you excited to see your father again?" The maid asked, while finishing off the last touches.
"Well, he doesn't miss me when he's gone..."
"Nashi, you know that's not true. Your father loves you more than anything," The maid said, leaning over my shoulder so she could see my face.
"If he loved me he'd let me leave this place," I replied, sighing.
"Nashi, he doesn't keep you here because he wants to. It's not his fault that-"
"What? What's wrong with me?" I turned round, so I was facing her. She shook her head, and put the comb that she'd been using on the dresser.
"Nashi, I'm not allowed to have this conversation," The maid muttered awkwardly. I rolled my eyes, and stood up.
"Of course you're not," I replied.
"Y-Your dress is hung up by the wardrobe," she said. I nodded, and walked over to it. It was dark red, with black lace and ribbons dotted here and there. I stroked the fabric, it's soft edge smoothing my skin. I then picked it up, and took it to the bathroom to put on.

I carefully stepped down the granite stairs, the clicking of my heels echoing through the house. I arrived at the doors of the dining room, which were opened to me by two guards.
My father sat at the end of the dining table, and his face lit up when he saw me.
"Hello, father," I said. He stared at me, confused, and then laughed.
"Nashi, don't be so formal!" He said, smiling at me. "Come here."
I smiled back at him, and ran into his arms.
"Welcome back dad," I muttered, as I hugged him tightly.
"Sorry I took so long," he replied. I shook my head, as I let go of him.
"It's fine," I said. "I...missed you."
"I missed you to, Nashi," he said back.

As our dinner arrived, Dad immediately dug in.
"This is delicious!" He cried, tipping plates into his mouth one by one. I laughed, as I carefully cut up my food like a normal person.
"So, dad, I was wondering..." I muttered. He sighed, and put down a plate he'd just polished off.
"Nashi, if this is about leaving home again-"
"But dad, I don't understand why I can't-"
"Nashi, we've had this discussion thousands of times already. Can you please just let it go?"
I stared desperately at him, but I could tell he wouldn't listen. I sighed, and sunk back on my chair.
"I bet Mom would've let me leave-"
Dad slammed a plate down onto the table, the loud crash cutting me off.
"What did I tell you about talking about your mother..." He muttered angrily. Shocked at the sudden anger, my eyes welled up with tears. I then quickly stood up from my chair, and hurried out the room, trying to hide my tears from my father.

I ran into my bedroom a mess. I practically ripped the dress off my body, and after seeing a nightgown that had been laid out for me, slipped into it. I threw myself onto my bed, and buried my face into my pillow, soaking the fabric with my tears.

-Natsu P.O.V-
"Damnit!" I shouted, slamming my fist down on the table. Spetto came running in, looking concerned.
"Natsu, are you ok?" She asked worriedly.
"I'm fine, I'm just..." I rested my head in my hands, unable to find the words. "Nashi," I said finally. She looked over to where Nashi had originally been sitting, and immediately understood.
"Did she ask to go out again?" Spetto asked.
"Just like every other day," I replied, shaking my head.
"She's just like her mother," Spetto said, laughing.
"And now I'm the horrible father," I muttered.
"Natsu, don't be so hard on yourself. We both know this will pay off in the long term. Keeping her here is the best we can do for her." Spetto placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. I closed my eyes, annoyed at myself.
"I can't eat anymore," I said, changing the subject. I stood up, and tucked my chair in. "Thank the chefs for the meal please."
"Of course," she answered. I then left for my room.