Chapter Nine

Once Dani's body hit the ground everything literally went straight to the pits of hell. George quickly lunged at Aron and  pinned on the ground, repeatedly drilling his fists into the side of the smaller's face. Stephanie tried to nothing compared to George's strength. She got up and took in the other boys and their actions; Jorel stood wide eyed, his jaw hanging slightly. Dylan paced back and forth repeating something in Spanish over and over again. Matt and Jordon were at Dani's side trying to force breath back into her lungs. When Stephanie's eyes made contact with Dani's face she saw that the girl was still alive and coughing up clots of blood. Shit! What do I do?! She looked around frantically to see if she could find a towel or some type of cloth so that Matt could use it to stop the bleeding.  Damn it Aron, you've really done it now!

From behind her she heard the gate open and close, followed by the sound of heels clicking on the stone pathway. She sighed and turned to see Jorel's girlfriend, Vanessa James, standing with her hand over her mouth. Tears pricked the corners of the blondes eyes. Jorel ran over to her and guided her back out to the front yard. She assumed that Jorel didn't want Vanessa to be traumatized by the sight of a, possibly, dying Dani.

"STEPHANIE!!" Matt yelled over his shoulder. "GO START MY TRUCK!" He tossed her his keys then she took off. Jordon looped his arms underneath Dani's arms while Matt held her by her legs. "George let's go!" He said firmly to the Irishman. George quickly backed away from Aron and followed Matt and Jordon out front. He slid into the backseat with Stephanie and held onto Dani as Matt drove.

"What do we do?" Stephanie looked to each boy for an answer. Matt and George argued about if they should take her to the hospital or take her to one of their old friend Theresa's. They knew that Reese was taking the same EMT course as Dani and would know how to help; George felt a little uneasy about that idea but in the end they took her to Reese.

When they pulled up to Reese's house she was already standing in the doorway with Daniel hovering behind her. Neither of them knew what had happened exactly but they didn't care as long as Daniella would be okay. "Get her inside, I've already got the guest room set up to help her." She said as George walked past her into the house. Reese wasted no time at all with pulling her hair back and washing her hands and putting on some gloves.

"What the hell happened exactly?" Danny asked coming up behind George. "Who did this to her?"

"Can we focus here?!" Reese snapped then slammed the door shut so she could have some more privacy. The only person she let in the room was Matt since he had helped Dani when Vanessa had gotten hurt.

"What do I need to do?" He followed Theresa's actions of washing his hands, putting on gloves and laying towels around Dani. She handed him a clean towel and told him to put pressure on the wound.
"Elevate her arm," she told him and laid an old pillow underneath. "Keep this over the wound." Matt nodded his head and placed the pressure bandages on Dani's arm. "If the bleeding continues take your fingers and apply pressure to the brachial artery."
"Got it."

Theresa got up from the bedside and ran for her room where she kept all of her medical supplies. Each shelf had a labeled box with different tools, creams, antibacterials, bandages, and surgical tools. None of the boxes had been labeled for gunshot wounds so she did her best at trying to figure out what she would need. From down the hall she heard Matt yelling for her, she sighed and just took what she had and ran back to the guest room. "What now?"

Matt looked back at her with panic filled eyes, "The whole are keeps swelling. I tried putting ice on her-"
"It needs to be splinted." Reese whispered, fear coating her voice. Her heart tightened in her chest as she turned around and went back to get even more supplies. When she returned all the guys were in the room trying to come up with ways to help. "Reese is she gonna be okay?" George's voice came out weak and scratchy, she tried to give him a reassuring smile but it faulted when the sickly sound of Dani coughing up more blood echoed around the room. She flinched at the noise and stuffed some pillows underneath Dani's upper body. "Like Matt said, the wound is swelling badly. There is no doubt some internal bleeding, her bone might be shattered and it needs to be splinted." She worked quickly as she spoke, only pausing every once in a while to try and calm Dani down. It amazed Reese that Dani was still holding on and trying not to pass out.

-----------------------------------

Finally after another hour or two of working Theresa was finally able to get the swelling down, stop the bleeding, and dig the bullet out. Once she had taken care of those things they all got Dani back in the truck and drove her to the ER to make sure that she would heal properly. None of the guys or Reese and Stephanie had wanted to take her there, but when Dani started to bleed again they decided to go. Everyone agreed that Reese had done her best to try and help Dani and thanked her for everything that she had done.

Of course when they got to the hospital the doctors asked what had happened, so the guys ended up telling them that they had been messing around with Jorel's, dad's gun. The boys got scolded for their stupidity and threatened to be arrested if they ever did that again in the presence of a young woman. One of the doctors did congratulate Theresa on her medical knowledge and quick thinking. "You helped save this girl's life, you should be very proud of yourself." One of RNs told her right before they left to take Dani home. The whole ride back Dani was groggy and a little high off the anesthesia that she had been given.

"Hey thanks for your help again Reese. I owe you big time." George said as he carried Dani upstairs to his bedroom. Reese just smiled and patted his shoulder. "Thanks but no thanks George. You're a very good friend of mine so you don't need to repay me, all you have to do is keep Aron away from her and that'll be good enough for me."