December 19th

Sarah is a very family-oriented person. She knows the importance of family. Her parents and siblings, of course, but also the family outside of her gorgeous home. And Sarah worries about every single one of them.

It's not that Sarah is a worrywart. She just cares, deeply. It's not debilitating and it doesn't take over her life or keep her from enjoying her days. They're just little itches in the back of her mind. But she does know there's something up with Shin. She always does. She's her very best friend.

They're shopping for last minute gifts, and it's chaos, but Sarah's pretty sure that it isn't the chaos that's got Shin acting a little off.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

Her best friend tries to play it off, kind of. She tries to look surprised, tries to look like Sarah's insane, but it just kind of screws her face up because Sarah can see it all in her eyes. They've spent too much time together in ways that have challenged them both for Shin to really play pretend. So Sarah just rolls her eyes. Shin's go wide, and it's her tell. Subtle, but it's there, and Sarah huffs a breath.

"There's something bothering you. I'm asking if you want to talk about it."

It takes a moment, not that it surprises Sarah at all. Shin is a private person by nature, always has been and will be, but Sarah is patient. And used to it.

"I'm thinking about moving back here."

Sarah's gut reaction is, admittedly, negative. After everything she went through just to get where she is now, Sarah is not honestly sure it's the best idea.

"You don't think it's a good idea."

Sarah huffs. "I don't think it's a bad idea."

Because she'd never actually say she didn't want her best friend within a logical travel distance. To say so would be an outright lie.

Shin's arched eyebrow is the only indication that she'd like more information.

"You weren't happy here." Both women know Shin cannot argue with that. Shin always felt underrated, unappreciated. "You're happy now."

Shin shrugs. "I'm happier."

"Of course you are," Sarah replies on a bit of a laugh. "You're like one step closer to ruling the world."

That makes Shin laugh, bright and unforced. "It is awesome."

"Of course it is!"

"And London's beautiful."

"It is London."

"The accents," Shin gushes. "Every day."

"You're making me jealous."

They laugh together again.

"But it's not here," Shin says when they've calmed.

"Of course not."

"My family's not there. You guys aren't there."

Sarah chews her lip for a moment. "All of us?"

She can see the way Shin wants to roll her eyes but the validity of the question stands.

"It's not just Ian," Shin says quietly. "You guys are family."

She continues to say, "I'm convinced something's changed while I'm away. There's something missing. I love it there. I love what I do, it's wonderful. But- "

"But it's just not enough," Sarah interrupts.

"I just- It feels good to be back. It feels right. And yes, in part because of Ian. Because that feels right too."

"It was a long time coming," Sarah acknowledges.

Shin's smile is strangely shy, but happier than Sarah's ever seen. It's a beautiful thing.

"I want you to think it through," Sarah says softly. "You have a phenomenal job, and you look settled. The people are just a piece, and what happens if you move back and it's not everything you'd dreamed of?"

Shin huffs. "I haven't made a decision. I'm- I'm thinking about it."

She sounds defensive and Sarah reaches out, "Shin." She waits for Shin to look at her. "If you think coming back, moving back here, is what's best for you, we will welcome you with open arms, no questions asked."

Shin blows out a breath like she's composing herself, "London is not home."

"Manila may not be either," Sarah points out. "I mean, you have seen the traffic, right?"

They share laugh as Shin goes on to say, "Yeah, I'm always a step away from having a meltdown on the road."

Sensing that they'd come to the end of the conversation, Sarah grins. "So, shopping?"

Shin laughs. "Yeah."