December 25th

Christmas Day starts early for the both of them. Separately. Though they had promised each other that tonight is just for the two of them. And tonight couldn't come any sooner.

Shin is greeted by the jolly ambiance of their family Christmas breakfast. They should make this a thing, she thinks. She feels lighter, like a heavy weight has been lifted off her shoulders. She's noticed that her family seems happier too. Maybe because it's Christmas, but she hopes part of it is because of her. They go to church together, which, she had to admit, is the part she's excited about the most. She loves going to church, but she sure as hell hates going alone.

Ian's day is likewise a big affair. Christmas means time with his family, extended one included. He's relaxed and happy. He likes to hear the squeals of his nieces and nephews when they open their gifts. For some reason, it's far less annoying than the usual squealing that they do. But he knows that this year's Christmas will also be different. He's just not sure whether it's a good kind of different or a bad one.

===

They start quite late at Ian's condo. Only a few hours left of Christmas, but it's all they need.

They sit close to each other on the couch, perfectly content with looking over the view of the city in peace.

"I'm happy," she tells him, absently reaching out to run a hand through his hair.

But he's up a second later though, bringing two gifts back with him. Hers is deceptively heavy for something so small and Ian smiles. Then they're sitting there, looking at each other.

"You first," he says softly.

She rips the paper and lifts out another box. When she pops it open, there's a polished stone. She traces her finger over the word: faith. There's another one under that, and another under that. Hope, Belief, Love, four stones in all. Shin holds them in her hands, curiosity over her face.

"You can put them anywhere you want. I gave them to you to remind you about going forward, about what we're going to build."

Shin smiles, leaning over to press a kiss on his mouth. When she pulls back, her thumb brushes over 'love'. "Thank you," she whispers. Though neither of them is voicing out the sentiment, she hears him loud and clear.

She's still anxious about her gift though.

Her heart leaps back into her throat as he carefully removes the tape of his gift. Inside, she knows, is a pretty Christmas box. It's what's inside though that counts.

He lifts the first piece of paper and opens it.

She closes her eyes. She knows what it says. By heart.

She wrote it.

She wrote all of this.

"Shin." The breathlessness in his voice has her relaxing marginally. He sounds like he's in awe.