Chapter 16

Max's POV

"Smoke you don't have to be with her. You can leave." I murmured.

You know I can't do that.

I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose, "Smoke, I'll let you go but you will stick with Toothless. Is that clear?"

Of course of course.

"Shadow let's get her to the cliffside." I let out Smoke and shut the door again.

What are you going to do to her?

"I'm going to get some answers." I climbed on Shadow.

"Max!" My dad said. "Are you sure you want to do this?!"

"I have to Dad." I murmured.

Shadow took off and grabbed the cage. He placed the cage down and landed next to it at the cliffs. I got off and leaned against my staff.

Are you feeling any better?

"Yeah a little." I walked over to the cage.

I swung the staff and hit the bars waking Riley.

"Wha...where am I?" Riley demanded.

I smirked, "Doesn't concern you right now."

"Where's Smoke?" She asked.

"He's safe. Don't you worry." I reassured.

"What do you want Max?!" She glared at me.

"I want you to stop hunting me. Join my side. Help me stop him." I insisted.

She shook her head, "I swore an oath to him."

"Then tell me his plans. Tell me how he's going to kill me." I ordered.

She stayed silent.

I climbed on Shadow, "You know what to do."

"You can't torture me. I had the same training as you." Riley said.

Shadow grabbed the cage and hovered over the cliffs.

"If you don't tell me his plans. I'll drop you." I threatened.

Riley backed into the corner, "I don't know! He never told me! I'm just supposed to deliver you to him!"

I groaned in annoyance and Shadow dropped the cage back on the cliff. I got off and stumbled a little.

Max I'm sorry....

Smoke came out of nowhere and shot a spine into my side. I cried out in pain and collapsed to the ground. Shadow roared and jumped into the air, tackling Smoke to the ground.

I have to do this!

In the midst of the skirmish a spine sliced the lock and Riley ran out.

"Smoke let's go!!!!" She yelled.

Shadow lashed out and clawed at his face.

"NO!" I slammed my staff into the ground trying to stand up.

The island rumbled and the clouds boomed. Thunder came bursting from them and landed on the island. Riley ran at me and kicked me to the ground. Smoke managed to get away from Shadow and picked Riley up.

"After them!" I yelled.

Thunder took off and followed them into the sky. I ripped the spine from my side yelling out.

My father showed up a minute later out of breath, "Smoke...he escaped...underground...we couldn't find him..."

I stood up and leaned against my staff, "We need to get to Dragon's Edge. I'm not ready yet and this island has been compromised."

Riley's POV @ Anarchy Island

"Max is weak!" I announced. "I don't know what happened but she's recovering. If we strike now we can capture her."

"Good. Good." Sebastian said stopping in front of me. "We will find her as soon as the ships are ready. The incident with the Bewilderbeast set us back."