Chapter 17

Max's POV 2 Weeks Later

I yawned and stretched, "We should leave soon Shadow."

We still haven't heard from Thunder.

I walked out in the common area.

"Uh there's a certain Skrill here." My dad pointed out.

I pushed past him and Jack, "Did you find them?!"

I followed them to Anarchy's island and I overheard Riley telling Sebastian something. They're going to attack. Soon.

"I have to go." I turned to grab my stuff but Dad grabbed my arm.

"You can't...you're still not ready...what you did to save Shade took a big toll on you." He whispered.

"Dad. They're after me. They'll torture you and kill you to get to me." I insisted shoving past him.

"Fine. You think you're ready. Then fight Jack." He ordered.

Jack gazed at me and unsheathed his sword.

"Dad..."

"Go on." He took a step back.

I unsheathed mine and charged. Jack dodged my first attack and sliced across my cheek. I glared at him and attacked again. He knocked my sword from my hand and pointed his at my throat. I reached for my staff but he swung, tripping me, and knocking me to the ground. I groaned in minor pain.

"Jack. Stop." Hiccup commanded.

I grabbed the fire sword from my leg and knocked his sword away. I jumped up and pushed him up against the wall. The flames were licking at his neck as I glared at him.

"Max. Enough." My father stated.

I slowly backed away and clicked my fire sword closed. I put it back on my leg and sheathed my real sword.

"Never challenge me like that EVER again." I growled at my father.

Jack put his hand on my shoulder, "Come on. Let's take a walk."

I followed him to the beach, "Sorry I almost killed you."

"I almost killed you first." Jack pointed out.

"I am ready." I said.

"I know." Jack replied. "What did you do that made you so weak?"

"I-"

Max listen...

I stopped moving and realizing there was a buzzing of wings coming, "Do you hear that?"

Jack shook his head, "Wha-"

"Shhh just listen!" I ordered.

The buzzing was getting louder.

"There are dragons living on the island." Jack pointed out.

The ground exploded in front of us, before I saw it coming. I flew backwards and landed on the sand. My ears were ringing and I could muffled shouts. I turned and felt my head.

Blood.

Max!

There was smoke everywhere, I could hardly see anything.

"Shadow!"

I felt vikings grab my arms and drag me towards shore.

"Max!" I heard Jack's muffled voice.

I looked up to see him tied against a rock and Windspark wrapped in a bola next to him.

"Get them on board!" I heard Riley say.

Next to me, Shadow was tied down in a cart and they were dragging him onto the boat.

I didn't have the strength to fight back; my ears were still ringing. I hung my head as my feet dragged across the sand and onto the boat.

Riley's men stripped me of my weapons, threw me in a cell and slammed the door shut.

She knelt down in front of the bars, "You're not getting away this time."