Will we lose her?

Chapter six

The group of three arrived at the emergency entry of the hospital. Antonio went with Nadia to a nurse to get her checked in and Jay was at the Nurse desk to gather information about Erin.

"Do you have news about my wife? Erin Halstead, she was brought in recently." He asked nicely. He was far away from being calm but he knew that he needed to be nice to them otherwise he wouldn't really get any information.

"One Moment please. Yes we got an Erin Halstead in the system. Shot wound to the shoulder?" The nurse asked and Jay nodded. Why couldn't just he get shot? "If you please could wait in the waiting room. She is in surgery. A doctor will be meeting you later." The nurse said while directing him to the waiting room with her fingers. He knew this room all too good. He lastly was there only a couple hours ago. He sat himself down on the gray uncomfortable chairs and waited. He didn't know how long time has passed as Antonio came in with Nadia behind him. Nadia had a coffee for herself and Antonio got one for Jay and himself.

"Did you hear anything?" Nadia asked. She still was pale but she stopped shaking. "She still is in surgery." Jay answered while motioning for Nadia to take the seat beside him. After he married Erin both of them got closer. "I have to call Laura" Antonio excused himself and left the room.

After month of separating they wanted to make it work again. They talked a lot in the past week and Jay hoped for them to get back together. "I'm glad you are okay Nadia!" Jay said and meant it. This day was crazy enough for everyone. She gave him a small smile and just leaned on his shoulders. She was tired but earlier she refused to take the hospital bed she was offered and Nadia was sure Erin wouldn't mind. Jay was like a brother for her. Jay draped his arm around Nadias shoulder and together they waited in silence.

After a few minutes Antonio came back into the room. He sat down beside Jay and clapped him on the shoulders. They were a family and it hurt everyone. Around half an hour later Laura Dawson entered the waiting room with young Eva and Diego Dawson. Antonio stood up and took Laura into an embrace. Laura knew how much Erin meant to him. She also knew that they never had romantical feelings. They often met the Halstead family for dinner and the kids grew close to each other. The age difference didn't really matter for them.

Minutes after minutes passed. The six people still waited on their own. The adults sitting on the chairs and looking into space. Both kids sat in front of the TV installed in the room and watched some program neither of the adults had ever heard of. Suddenly the rest of Intelligence hurried inside. Surprisingly Aaron was in Grandpa Hanks arm and Amelia was in Uncle Mouse arms. Melanie walked beside Al and Ruzek. Burgess was walking beside Ruzek and on her other side was walking Platt. He was surprised that she was there but after the whole "Your eyes sparkle" thing it wasn't really out of order. Erin had a lot of friends. She was nice to everyone she wanted, she could lit up a whole room only with her smile.

God! She can't die. He needed her in his life. Jay wanted to stand up but Nadia fell asleep against his shoulders. He took Aaron and Amelia on his lap. Voight took the seat opposite where Jay was seated and Melanie just sat beside him. Burgess took the seat beside Adam on the left side of the room. On the right side where some other people waiting for some news. They just looked like they were in a similar situation.

She snuggled into his side. She wanted to hide her tears. Erin was her best friend and would be her maid of honor. Erin wasn't just allowed to die. No one allowed that!

Everyone sat still. No one said a word. Only Al and Voight had left to get some coffee for the group. Jay had the perfect view on the entry of the waiting room so he was the first to see the Doctor enter the room. Full of hope he nudged Nadia which woke up instantly. Jay wanted to stand up and walk to the doctor. The doctor looked like she didn't mind it. His fist clenched around the head protection they had to wear while in surgery. Jay began to shake his head. No, she couldn't die that easily she can't just let him be on her own. Not now. The others saw the move in Jays expression and turned towards the doctor. It dawned on them. When would the doctor just say something?

"Family of Judy Romano?" The doctor addressed the other family in the waiting room. The Romanos stood up and huddled around the doctors. They seemed like to know what would come next. The whole group was relieved but also felt the pain for the family. The doctor finished what he told the family as a women, probably the mother, broke down into the arms of her husband. He or she didn't made it off the table. He felt so sorry for this family. Jay didn't really think about it much. He got up with both kids on his arms and walked over to the four people. The doctor long gone. "I really am so sorry for your loss.* He said gently and truly. Was it appropriate to say something like that to a stranger? He didn't really know and he didn't really care. He just wanted to give them his condolences. "Thank you Mister." The husband answered. His wife stopped for a short moment and turned towards Jay. "Thank you! I hope your wife will make it!" She said and hid again into the embrace of her husband. Jay made his way back and sat down again. He sat down and arranged his kids on his laps. Now they were awake and began to ask after their Mommy. "Mommy?" Aaron asked with a still sleepy voice. But he could hear he was worried again. That's the second time he woke up without his Mommy by his side. "Mommy doesn't feel that well, she is with the doctor now." Jay answered and could see how the kids processed Jays answer. The kids just snuggled deeper into Jay. They just wanted Mommy and he couldn't help them and he hated it.

Again a doctor appeared in the waiting room. It wasn't the same. Jay got up and the doctor luckily addressed them now. "Family of Erin Halstead." The doctor asked and was surprise with the group that greeted him. Behind him also entered another Person. It was Will, who was out of Breath. He hurried down to the Emergency as soon as he heard that his sister in-law was in surgery. The doctor turned around and had a questioning look. "Will?" he asked and Will stood beside Jay and now it dawned the Doctor. "Will Halstead. Aha now I understand. Mrs. Halstead has lost a lot of blood and it really was touch and go. For now she is in the ICU. Mr. Halstead, can I have a word with you?" The doctor filled the group up and left the room with Jay. While Jay was talking with the doctor the team was relieved and have each other hugs. Hank was watching the kids and soon later Jay already came back. Hank could see pure exhaustion creep up his face, but he saw something else. Shock, shock form something he didn't know. He was surprised and he seemed so zoned out. Standing midst in the waiting room.

Flashback

A week ago the Halstead family enjoyed a nice lie in on a Sunday morning. The kids were still asleep in their cots. Jay and Erin lied there both enjoying the company of each other. Jay gave Erin a kiss and a second later she bolted up and run for the bathroom. He heard how she got sick. Erin felt her Hair being pulled up and a hand stocking her back.

"Everything okay, Er?" Jay asked worried. She normally didn't get sick. It already was the third time this week and Jay grew more worried with every day that passed.

"Here a glass of water:" Jay said and handed it to his wife. She felt better now and lied back down.

"JAY, JAY!" Hank said and touched his shoulder. He snapped out of his daydream or what it was.

"What did the doctor want?" Hank asked. They were now standing a little bit offside so the others wouldn't hear them.

*It's Erin, she...she's... pregnant." HE said still shocked, He was happy but he still had to wrap his head around the feeling that he would become a Dad again and that he was so close to lose both of them.

"She's what?" Hank asked and could scold himself for what he said. "The baby's still alive, right?" Hank asked and waited for an answer of Jay, who just nodded. Jay was near bursting out. All he wanted was to be beside his wife and cry. How could this go so horribly wrong?

Jay shook the head and said "We can go see her. But the kids aren't allowed to go in there."

"Okay, go see her. I will take the kids home and send the other also home.* Hank said and knew that it for now would be the best if just Jay would go and see her.

*Thank you Hank." Jay said and together they made their way back to the others. They had a silent agreement that they would tell no one about Erins pregnancy.

Next: Still hospital and flashback