Chapter 5

I haven't written a new chapter in the prequel, I'm sorry, feel free to hate me, so here's an apology chapter because I feel like I'm letting you all down.

Don't forget to express your feelings, because they're important; like oxygen.

Chapter 5

"Momma, come on!" Katherine giggled loudly, her curly hair bouncing as she ran circles around Melissa.

Melissa tripped over her feet, an annoyed breath puffing through her nostrils, "Katherine." She warned.

The eight year old's eyes widened, "But, Mom! Scott and I want ice cream!"

Melissa's brown eyes flashed to her son, seeing him mindlessly chasing butterflies, "I'm not sure that's entirely true." She told her daughter.

Katherine groaned, putting her hands up in the air, waving them, "This is a once in a lifetime opportunity!" She cried over-dramatically, looking to her twin, "Right, Scott?"

Scott's wide, brown eyes watched the butterflies as he nodded, "Uh, huh." He said.

Melissa shook her head at her kids, "You two will be the death of me." She stated.

"So, is that a yes?"

Melissa laughed, letting Katherine drag her to the ice cream man across the street.

Melissa shook her head, the memory now seeming hundreds of years ago, when it had really only been almost ten years.

Melissa passed Stiles as he walked away from Katherine's room, heading in the opposite direction, not once looking back.

Melissa rubbed her eyes, slowly walking into Katherine's hospital room, seeing her laid out in her bed, tubes sticking out of her and her heart monitor beeping with each identified pulse.

Melissa's breathing quickened as her heart told her she should cry because her daughter was currently unconscious with multiple, un-healing wounds, but the nurse and the mom in her knew she needed to be strong for everyone around her.

She took the empty seat beside the hospital bed, wiping at her eyes as she stared down at Katherine's form.

"I miss you." She said. "It's been just a few days. But for your mother it's more like a few years."

Melissa laughed at herself, and hummed as she took her daughters limp hand, "Stiles is out there, y'know? He's out there sitting in the waiting room, worrying about whether or not his dad is going to die."

Melissa sniffled, shaking her head, "I don't know why, out of all the people on this earth, my children had to be the ones to be pulled into this mess. It's not fair."

That's something just about everyone in Beacon Hills has said on more than one occasion; 'It's not fair'.

"Now, I know you're gonna beat this." Melissa told her daughter, "Because you are stronger than this. You are gonna beat this, Katherine. And I know it's going to be hard coming back after everything, but you're gonna have your family to help you."

Melissa heard her pager beep, and she jumped up, kissing her daughters forehead, "It's Stilinski. Something's wrong." She said without hesitation, feeling like she should tell her daughter.

Melissa rushed out of the room, a pang I'm her heart as she left her daughter's side.

I can do this. She thought. We can do this.