Chapter 24 (In the Capitol)

The ride to the capitol took less than half-an-hour. Katniss wore her old mockingjay uniform and Peeta wore his uniform given to him by District 13. Haymitch had changed into a suit. When the hovercraft landed, the three climbed out. They were greeted by some of their old friends: Johanna Mason, a victor from District 7 and ally in the 75th Hunger Games; Pollux, an Avox man who had fought beside Katniss and Peeta during the fight for the Capitol; and Cressida, a fierce woman who also fought alongside Katniss and Peeta.

"Welcome back," Johanna said. "Almost thought we'd never see you again."

"Oh, come on, Johanna," Katniss said. "Tell me you didn't truly believe that."

Johanna's face spread into a smile.

"It's good to you again."

Pollux gave Katniss and Peeta large hugs, making them laugh.

"It's great to see you again, Pollux," Peeta said.

Pollux just smiled at them. Katniss looked at Cressida.

"Any idea why President Paylor wants us here?" she asked.

"None. She said she would explain everything once you all were here. She's already put together a team for us. They're inside with her now."

~

Cressida opened a door that led to the meeting room. The group walked in. When Peeta and Katniss looked around, they couldn't help but smile. Beetee, an incredibly smart victor from 3 with glasses, was there. Enobaria, District 2's victor, and Gale Hawthorne, Katniss's childhood friend, were also there.

"Hey, Catnip," Gale said.

Katniss smiled.

"How's Two?" she asked.

"Not bad. Things have been pretty calm."

"That's good to hear."

"How's Twelve?"

"We're doing fine. We've had some people from the other districts move into the square. The kids are back at home with Effie."

"Glad you all could make it," President Paylor finally said. "Good to see you again."

"So what's going on?" Katniss asked. "Something big has to be going on for you to want us here."

"I've been going through President Snow's old data bases," Beetee said. "He had a million different codes and secret tunnels in his computer system and it was my job to sort through them, try and figure out if there's anything of his still active."

"What'd you find?" Peeta asked.

"This."

A large map of the mansion was projected.

"You found an old layout of the mansion? What's so special about it?" Beetee hit another button. Six lower levels appeared below the giant house. "Wow. I can see why it's special now."

"President Snow has many different levels to his home," Paylor said. "Some of which are underground and now unused."

"Why do you need us, then?" Katniss asked.

"We want you seven to go and find out what's down there. It could be dangerous down there, so Beetee has recovered your weapons." A section of the wall opened, revealing different types of weapons. There were axes, guns, swords, knives, and bows and arrows. "Beetee, Haymitch, and I will stay up here and monitor your progress. Star Squad, do you accept this mission?"

Katniss looked around at the group, then at the President.

"Star Squad is ready to go," she said.