8 ↠ Awkward.

Awk•ward
Adjective
Lacking social grace and assurance.

"What do you think Karlie? How does it taste?" Andrea had put Karlie on the spot so many times this night. Karlie was already nervous walking over to give Taylor flowers, and now having dinner with her? Taylor couldn't help but grin at the situation at hand.

"It's delicious Mrs. Swift." Karlie stumbled out, taking more spoonfuls of the homemade food. Taylor had been bumping her knees against Karlie's all night, making the younger girl embarrassed and red faced.

"I'm so glad Taylor has already met a new friend this year. You seem like a very nice girl." Taylor's father; Scott, had been gushing about Karlie already.

     "Thank you Mr. Swift, I'm glad Taylor and I are friends." Karlie hits my knee back, trying to remain calm and pale-faced as possible.

•••

"That was so awkward. Like I had no idea, I expected to give you your flowers and bolt for it, but I couldn't be mean to your parents—" Karlie had went upstairs with Taylor after their family meal together.

"Will you calm down? You did fine. Relax." Taylor pushes her into her room and sits down on her bed. Karlie's eyes scan her walls, stopping at a few things here and there.

"I think it's really cool you write your own music." Taylor had literally just met Karlie today, and she was already a gushing mess.

"Thank you Karlie. Singing is like a natural talent for me. What do you want to do when you get out of school?" Taylor asked, already knowing the answer.

"I'd probably like to be a model. But I really love baking, so I can't help but think about going into a career of foods. But then again; I really love to code, and I know that sounds nerdy, but it has always been a passion for me to learn more." Karlie's head was already filled with questions. Originally she had thought of being a doctor, but now all of this seemed to fall out like natural to Taylor. What is this feeling in my head?

"I don't see why you can't do all of that. I bet you manage a lot of tasks well." Taylor grins, her brain laughing at her being so gullible.

"I've always been good at that! I have no honest clue why." Karlie plops down onto Taylor's bed, right beside of her.

"I think I left my phone at the dinner table, I'll be right back Taylor." Karlie looks down at her pocket and jumps up to find her phone.

Oliver jumps onto Taylor's drawer and looks at the book again. "Today's word: Awkward. That doesn't surprise me any."

"How am I doing Oliver? Am I making good progress?" Taylor leans back onto her bed and stretches her body out.

"You're doing very well with Karlie. She seems to be liking you a lot already. Keep pushing just like so if you want to leave—" Karlie walks in quietly and looks at Oliver.

"Did your cat just talk?" Karlie looks at Oliver with confused eyes.

"What? Psh—no. My cat can't talk—" Taylor felt her start fumbling over her words.

"I swear I just heard a male voice in here Taylor. And there's nothing on in your room?" Karlie's green eyes stared deep into Oliver's eyes.

Oliver focused and blinked. Karlie pulled back and groaned in pain.

"Hello Karlie." Oliver boldly said to her.