Chapter Fifteen

In the throne room, the whipping continued. The guard kept going even after thirty lashes and the king allowed it. All Nikandros could feel was pain. His back was totally shredded and blood flowed freely onto the floor. Initially, he had tried to struggle, but the struggling was only rewarded with harder lashes.

Ulric walked briskly to the throne room, with Xene close behind him. He shoved open the doors, and surveyed the room. The king was sitting comfortably on his throne, and the torturer was whipping a bloody form, which Uric was astonished to realize, was Nikandros. "Father!" He exclaimed, horrified.

Degore looked casually towards his son, "Yes, Ulric? Is there something wrong?"

Ulric practically exploded. He waved a hand at Nikandros, "Why? He is practically dead!"

The king shrugged, "He stabbed you, my son. Need I say more?" He said nonchalantly.

Xene could not stay silent any longer. "No! You don't. But is that really the way to get answers?" She asked angrily. "By killing them?!"

"Xene...don't forget who you are speaking to..." The King reminded her.

Xene looked down. "Forgive me, my lord. I forgot my place." With that, she walked out of the room.

"Xene, stop." Degore growled.

She stopped at the door and turned around. Xene averted her eyes from making contact with his. "Yes, my lord?" She asked, subdued.

"How dare you act that way in front of your king!" He roared, "I am very generous with you and even allow you to stay in the palace for my son, yet you disrespect me!"

"Father," Ulric interjected, "Do not turn your wrath on Xene." He furrowed his brow in anger, "Now, why were you whipping this poor boy?" He asked.

Nikandros barely noticed that the painful blows had stopped- or paused. He vaguely heard voices, but couldn't understand what they were saying. Nikandros struggled to open his eyes, but failed.

Degore took a deep breathe, calming his anger, "This is part of his punishment for his actions, Ulric."

"But you have done more than plenty!" Ulric insisted.

"Who are you to question my orders..." Degore glared at his son.

Ulric straightened, drawing himself to his full height. "I am the crown prince of Gondor."

The king forced a laugh, "And I am the king!"

Ulric frowned, "Yes. I am not trying to undermine your authority, father. I am just telling you what I think. I think you are going extreme."

"It is his own fault. They have not shown me any reason to be merciful." Degore pointed out.

"But this is excessive cruelty! His ribs are broken, he was multiple stab wounds, and now you are whipping him! Father," Ulric's mouth straightened into a grim line, "this is excessive."

Degore narrowed his eyes, "I am the king and I will decided what is too much. Do you understand?" He spoke slowly.

"I understand what you think. I just don't think it is wise." Ulric spat back.

Xene decided that it was time she escaped. "May I leave please, your majesty?"

The king's eyes widened and he ignored Xene's question, "How dare you talk that way to me! Your insolence will cost you boy!"

"How?" Ulric asked, still fuming.

Degore stroked his chin, "Since you seem to care for your wannabe murderers, then you will watch him as he finishes his punishment for stabbing you. Am. I. Clear?"

Ulric turned abruptly and began to stalk out of the room.

"Ulric, come back here right now!" Degore shouted.

Ulric ignored his father and went into his room. He flopped on the bed, "Ugh!" He exclaimed, frustratedly.

Angrily, the king turned to Xene, "Why are you still here?" He growled, "Leave! Now!"

He assumed she would leave and focused on his guards, "Go get my son! I don't care if you must use force, go get him!" Degore was fuming.

Xene curtsied quickly, and left the throne room to find Ulric. She stopped at the door to his room and knocked. "Ulric?" She asked quietly.

A deep sigh came, followed by a tired, "Come in, Xene."

She opened the door and walked in softly. "I'm sorry about what happened. Your father sure has a temper." She took a stab at trying to lighten Ulric up.

A grunt in agreement followed, but that was all.

Xene, sensing that she had failed, walked over and sat down by Ulric's shoulders, and began to rub his back.

Please don't hate Degore too much! He's trying to be a good King!

Oh wait...no he's not. Go ahead and hate him. You have Evara's, Aris', and my permission to hate him! He is pretty awful...I know.

But, vote on the chapter or comment if you want Degore to be nicer!

Thanks, guys!

Ithildae, Aris, and Evara (BananaBam03 )

Writers:
Degore - Ithildae
Thea - Ithildae
Nikandros - Evara
Ulric - Evara
Xene - Aris
Fendrel - Ithildae
Guards - Ithildae and Evara