Chapter 21

Chapter 21

                “Now is the time! We destroy the warrior code that is holding the Clans back from true greatness!” Splashheart yowled.

                Whitefur couldn’t believe it. The most important event of his whole life was about to happen. And there is no way the Clans will win!

                Splashheart looked at Tawnyflame. “Tawnystar, are you ready?” he asked.

                She’s leader already? Didn’t Salmonstar just become leader, like, two seasons ago?

                “Um, yes!” the flame-colored she-cat shouted.

                Splashheart looked unconvinced. “You better choose the right side,” he growled.

                Tawnystar lifted her head and stared back defiantly. “Don’t worry, I will,” she responded, and Whitefur guessed she meant the Clans were the right side.

                The gray-and-white tom swiped his claws across her muzzle and Tawnystar flinched backwards. “We will kill you if you don’t side with us,” he warned her before marching away.

                “Thornwhisker! You can take Oakstream, Rainpool, and…what’s that ShadowClan cat’s name…Mudstorm with your patrol to attack WindClan,” Splashheart ordered.

                Thornwhisker nodded. “Okay, RiverClan…Breezepelt will lead Ashstorm, Hawkwhisker, and Tawny…” the gray-and-white tom began to say Tawnystar’s name, and Whitefur felt her stiffen beside him.

                A plan formed in his mind. He stepped forward and whispered in Splashheart’s ear, “Send her to ThunderClan with me.”

                Splashheart looked at him strangely. “I’m trusting you Whitefur. Prove to me that I was right to choose you,” he growled.

                “Okay, then, not Tawnystar,” Splashheart meowed, and Whitefur saw her visibly relax beside him. “Silvercloud of ShadowClan then.”

                “Smokewhisker will be taking Ripplepool of RiverClan, Graywhisker of ThunderClan, and Darkclaw of ShadowClan to attack the ShadowClan camp,” he announced.

                “And lastly, I will be taking Sunblaze, Whitefur, and Tawnystar to the ThunderClan camp,” Splashheart finished. “Let’s go!”

                They ran down a path Whitefur hadn’t seen before. He struggled to stay at the front of the patrol, barely able to keep up with Splashheart. “How did she become Tawnystar?” he asked.

                “Salmonstar was killed by a badger,” Splashheart answered as they swam across a dark river. “The wound was too big for those StarClan fools to heal, so she lost all seven lives. Tawnystar got her nine lives a couple days ago.”

                The rest of the journey was in silence. The mist grew thicker until Whitefur couldn’t see where they were going. The decaying smell slowly faded, replaced by the boring scents of new plants growing in ThunderClan territory. Light shone in the distance and then, they were in the forest.

                Whitefur followed Splashheart down the familiar trail leading directly back to camp, and he’d never felt more alive. They stopped at the camp entrance, and the medicine cat glanced at Splashheart. The gray-and-white tom’s amber eyes were shining.

                Inside the camp, it was just after sunrise. Warriors were waking up, padding leisurely into camp. This peaceful scene was about to be disturbed, and Whitefur would be a part of it. I can’t let Splashheart down! I will take every one of Crazystar’s lives and every one of Tawnystar’s lives.

                Splashheart raised his head. Crazystar was just starting to sniff the air suspiciously, heading for the camp entrance. “Warriors of SplashClan, attack!” he cried.

                Whitefur raced into camp. He glanced back and saw Tawnystar taking on two Dark Forest warriors, that traitor! She arched her back and snarled menacingly. “Go and fight her. Give her some decent injuries, but don’t kill her. Leave once she’s wounded,” Whitefur meowed to Splashheart.

                “Like I said, I’m trusting you, Whitefur. Don’t mess it up if you value your own life and safety,” the gray-and-white tom growled before turning around and dragging Tawnystar off of Seedfur.

                The battle has begun!

A/N: In the words of Whitefur, the battle has begun! :D