Chapter 19

Chapter 19

                “StarClan honors your enthusiasm and perseverance, and we welcome you as a full warrior of our Clan,” Crazystar finished.

                “Petalfall! Petalfall!” Flamestripe tried to cheer louder than anyone else for the cream-colored she-cat.

                He rushed over to her. “Congratulations, you’re a warrior at last!” he meowed.

                Petalfall nodded. Flamestripe watched as Morningblaze guided her kit to the center of the snow-covered clearing to start her vigil. It felt like only yesterday that he’d become an apprentice…

***

                It was the next night and Flamestripe settled down in his nest in the warriors den, Petalfall comfortably sleeping beside him.

                He closed his eyes and let himself be carried into the world of dreams, hoping tonight would be one of the rare occasions when he didn’t have the terrible nightmare…

                Flamestripe found himself once again in the stone hollow, fighting a lot of angry warriors. This time, the cat from his Clan that was there was Oakstream, mercilessly raking his claws down Flamestripe’s stomach.

                Despite knowing now it was just a dream, it was still incredibly painful. Oakstream stepped back and Flamestripe tried to turn his head away from the horrifying scene he knew was about to come. But he couldn’t.

                The nightmare ended the same way it always did. A gray-and-white tom sliced his claws across Crazystar’s throat and she collapsed onto the ground, eyes distant and lifeless…

                Flamestripe was relieved as always to wake up. Petalfall was rising to her feet next to him and he followed her out into the camp.

                That’s when he heard the violent coughing. Honeywhisker was leading Liontail into her den. “Whitefur, get some catmint!” she ordered.

                Petalfall looked nervously at Flamestripe. “Catmint? Does that mean…” she began to ask.

                “Yes, probably. I’m guessing Liontail  has greencough,” he replied, trying to keep the fear out of his voice.

                They were both silent for a long moment. “Let’s go hunting,” Petalfall suggested. “It’s better than worrying about that.”

***

                Three days later, Flamestripe stood next to his mother outside of the medicine cat den as she looked sadly at Liontail, who was coughing almost nonstop.  “Crazystar, I’ll see you in StarClan…” the deputy rasped.

                His flanks heaved as he coughed one last time and then a shudder passed through his body.

                Liontail was dead.

                Crazystar fell to the ground. “No, he can’t be gone, I still need him,” she whispered in a panicky tone of voice.

                “It’s okay,” Flamestripe tried to soothe his mother.

                “No,” she responded. “No, it’s not okay.”

                Honeywhisker looked up. “Crazystar, Liontail wouldn’t want you to grieve for long. It was past moonrise when he died, you need to appoint a new deputy now. It’s nearly moonhigh,” the medicine cat meowed.
                Crazystar numbly rose to her feet and climbed up the Highledge. Flamestripe watched as she summoned the Clan. “I have terrible news. Liontail is dead,” the gray-furred she-cat announced, her voice filled with sorrow. “I say these words before StarClan and the spirit of Liontail, that they may hear and approve of my choice. Stonestream will be the new deputy of ThunderClan.”

                Flamestripe’s father looked stunned. A few cats hesitantly began to chant his name. Flamestripe joined in, shouting his father’s name almost as loud as he’d done for Petalfall.

                “Thank you, Crazystar,” Stonestream managed. “I will do my best.”

                Crazystar looked at him, true love shining brightly in her green eyes. “I know you will,” she murmured.

A/N: Sorry that it's not longer, but yay, Stonestream is deputy! :) Don't worry Liontail, we are sad about you, we're just happy for Stonestream...