Chapter 25

Chapter 25

                Redwhisker stared in horror at the unmoving body of the traitorous medicine cat. I can’t believe it! And I killed him, he’s my own brother…

                “Thanks,” Stonestream’s voice pulled her out of her thoughts.

                She stepped away and sheathed her claws. “No problem,” she whispered.

                “What does ‘I will return’ mean?” the deputy asked confusedly.

                “He’ll go to the Place of No Stars, where he belongs,” Redwhisker replied. “But he’ll come back and fight again with his ‘Clanmates’ because these cats are all from the Dark Forest too, you know.”

                “I didn’t realize these cats were from the Dark Forest,” Stonestream meowed.

                Agonized screeching pierced through the sound of fighting. “Guard Crazystar,” the red-furred she-cat hissed.  “I need to find out who that is.”

                Tawnystar lay in the center of the hollow, thrashing around. Her paws tore up clumps of grass and she shrieked uncontrollably. The flame-colored she-cat struggles were growing weaker while her breathing became so rapid that she was breathing probably twice as fast as Redwhisker.

                Redwhisker dragged her into the closest den, which was the apprentices den. She watched as the RiverClan leader’s flanks stilled. Redwhisker waited, knowing that she’d have to leave soon because Whitefur, if he wasn’t here already, would definitely arrive soon.

                Suddenly, Tawnystar gasped and opened her eyes. “Redwhisker? What happened…” she began.

                “I killed Whitefur but he’ll back soon. Did he have anything to do with what happened to you?” she asked.

                Tawnystar nodded and sat up. “He fed me deathberries,” she answered.

                “He’ll be back from the Dark Forest soon. I need some assistance to kill him, he’s a good fighter,” Redwhisker started.

                “Tell me about it,” Tawnystar grunted.

                “Will you come with me?” the ThunderClan warrior asked.

                “You know that if you kill him, he’ll be gone forever,” the RiverClan she-cat reminded her sympathetically.

                Redwhisker took a deep breath. I don’t want to think about it. “I have no choice,” she meowed shakily. “He’s a threat to my Clan.”

                “Then let’s go. Where will he be?” Tawnystar wondered.

                “If I know my brother at all, he’ll go to the highest point on the taller stone wall. He used to love to look down on the camp, and I’m guessing he’ll want to see the battle from up there,” Redwhisker replied.

                Tawnystar rose to her paws and began limping towards the den’s entrance. “C’mon!” the RiverClan leader called encouragingly.

                Redwhisker joined her and let Tawnystar fall behind her slightly. She led the way through a familiar forest trail, feeling the ground start to slope upwards. She pointed with her tail to a clump of bushes. “Hide in there,” the red-furred she-cat whispered.

                They crawled in and sat there, waiting and not daring to make a sound. Shortly after, a white tom appeared and peered over the edge. “Now!” Redwhisker hissed.

                They climbed out of the bushes and Whitefur spun around. Before he could react, Tawnystar gave him a powerful shove and he staggered backwards. That’s when he realized behind him there was nothing but air.

                Whitefur somehow managed to get a grip on a small ledge a little ways down. “If I’m going to die, I’m taking you with me,” he growled.

                How in the StarClan’s name did Whitefur, a medicine cat who’s supposed to be closest to StarClan, become so evil?

                Tawnystar leapt backwards. “Not you, her!” the medicine cat snarled, reaching up and grabbing Redwhisker’s left forepaw before she could follow Tawnystar’s example.

                Whitefur released his grip and his weight pulled Redwhisker over the edge. Tawnystar lunged forward and grabbed her by the scruff. The RiverClan leader sank her claws into the grass to avoid getting dragged over as well and desperately tried to pull Redwhisker up. “That’s right, Tawnykit,” Whitefur sneered. “Come join us. Even if our combined weight doesn’t make you fall all the way to your death along with us, when you pull her up, you’re taking me to safety as well.”

                Redwhisker remembered the flash of relief in Stonestream’s eyes as she knocked Whitefur off of him. But no one could save her without saving her brother.

                Do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend this Clan, EVEN AT THE COST OF YOUR LIFE?

                “I do,” Redwhisker whispered quietly.

                She met Tawnystar’s gaze. “Let go,” she meowed.

                “You’re a true warrior, Redwhisker,” the RiverClan she-cat responded before opening her jaws.

                Redwhisker felt the sensation in her stomach that only comes from freefalling, hurtling towards the ground at unthinkable speeds. She closed her eyes and braced herself for the impact that was inevitable…

A/N: Whitefur is dead forever and Redwhisker has been sent to StarClan. What do you think of the battle so far? :)