Chapter 1

Chapter 1

                “Whitepaw, could you go collect some more marigold?” Honeywhisker asked.

                “We already have plenty,” he grumbled.

                Honeywhisker sighed. “That’s an order,” she responded.

                Whitepaw rolled his eyes and marched out of the den. He didn’t want anybody to get hurt, but he wanted something fun to do. Collecting herbs? Boring. Sorting herbs? Even more boring! Taking care of the elders? The worst part of all!

                He wanted to treat cats and help his Clanmates, not run around doing all of the annoying jobs Honeywhisker didn’t feel like doing!

                I don’t care what she says. I want to go see what Redpaw is doing! She said Brightleaf was taking her to practice battle training.

                It was sunhigh as he padded out of the camp. Whitepaw knew the forest pretty well. He followed the path to the training hollow and hid behind a tree with a thick trunk. Inside the training hollow, Brightleaf was demonstrating a move for Redpaw.

                “This is one of Crazystar’s special battle moves. When a cat charges, you can charge back,” the silver-and-white she-cat explained. “Then, take a mighty leap and spin around in mid-air. Often, your opponent won’t turn around fast enough so you have time to land a blow or two. Now I’ll charge you and you can try!”

                Simple enough. Brightleaf dashed towards her apprentice. Redpaw looked confused and hesitated for almost too long. When she jumped finally, she barely cleared Brightleaf’s head. She tried to turn around but she hit the ground first. It was an awkward landing, and she tumbled onto the ground. “Nice try,” Brightleaf meowed encouragingly, but Whitepaw didn’t think she actually believed that.

                That was pathetic!

                Redpaw climbed back to her paws, panting heavily. “Maybe we should go hunting?” Brightleaf suggested.

                Boring! You’re just sneaking up behind animals!

                But his sister’s face brightened. “Sure!” she replied excitedly.

                They started walking right in Whitepaw’s direction. Forgetting the task of collecting marigold, Whitepaw scampered away, definitely not wanting to get caught and reported to Honeywhisker or Crazystar.

                He slowed down as soon as he knew he was too far away to be seen and walked leisurely back to camp. By the time he reached camp, it was sundown. He was in no hurry to return to the medicine cat den though. Liontail, the ThunderClan deputy, walked over. “Whitepaw, Honeywhisker is waiting for you!” he meowed. “You better hurry over there, she looked kind of angry.”

                Whitepaw sighed and padded into the den. “Where have you been and where’s the marigold?” his mentor demanded.

                “Get it yourself,” he growled, walking right past the medicine cat and settling down in his nest.

                “Great StarClan, couldn’t you just be obedient for once!” she exclaimed with frustration. “Is the only part you like visiting the Moonpool?”

                Whitepaw ignored her and drifted off into sleep.

***

                There was no sun or moon in the forest.

                The dark bark of the trees was faintly illuminated by a gray mist that gave off a slight glow. The grass was even darker than the trees.

                A brown tom with amber eyes stepped out from behind a tree, and the medicine cat apprentice backed away nervously. “W-who are you?” Whitepaw stammered.

                “Thornwhisker,” the tom meowed, dipping his head. “And you’re Whitepaw, right? I understand you have an interest in fighting, is that true?”

                It was, but he wasn’t sure whether to tell this mysterious cat the truth. “Um, yes,” he answered finally.

                “Well, would you like me to teach you some moves?” Thornwhisker asked.

                “Of course!” he blurted out, not able to stop the words from escaping out of his mouth.

                Thornwhisker turned around. “Then follow me,” he growled. “These days, we have a clearing for training...”

                “We?” Whitepaw asked.

                The tom nodded. “My friends and I are all interested in you,” he meowed. “You have real…potential.”

                He thinks I can be good at fighting! I’ll prove him right!

                “Thanks!” he exclaimed.

                This seemed to amuse Thornwhisker. “Oh, you’re more than welcome.”

A/N: I’m sure you know what Thornwhisker meant by potential :D

And I hope you’ve enjoyed this book so far! Please comment!