Chapter 5

Chapter 5

                Where did Honeywhisker say the deathberries were?

                Crazystar continued searching for the poisonous plant along the ShadowClan border, not caring about the heavy downpour that was drenching her fur. She remembered the previous day too well. First, Liontail accusing her of putting the Clan first and ignoring her kits! What was she supposed to do, she was leader and she had to take care of the Clan!

                Then, her kits got mad at her and might as well have said they hated her. Crazystar could almost hear the unspoken words. Did anyone understand at all?

                After the kits basically kicked her out of the nursery, she saw Stonestream was still awake, eating a mouse close to the Highledge. The ThunderClan leader had padded over to him, assuming he’d comfort her. She replayed the conversation in her mind.

                “Stonestream, they hate me,” she whispered sadly.

                The former WindClan tom shook his head. “They don’t,” he meowed. “But you can hardly blame them for being upset.”

                “What is that supposed to mean?” she asked.

                “Crazystar, I’m just being honest,” he sighed. “I feel bad for them because they never see their mother. You may have responsibilities, but you really should do something with them. Your whole day doesn’t have to be occupied with patrols and…”

                “So you don’t love me either!” the gray-furred she-cat shouted, dashing towards the camp entrance and into the forest.

                She faintly heard his voice from where she stood outside of camp. “She’ll come back,” Stonestream told himself.

                Crazystar looked back one last time. “No, I won’t,” she meowed quietly.

                Back in the current time, she finally saw what she was looking for. A bush filled with sparkling scarlet berries was directly to her left. The ThunderClan leader sighed. Liontail will be a better leader than I could ever be anyways…

                She reached out with a forepaw to pull the deathberries off of it…and then something, no, someone crashed into her and knocked her onto the ground. Liontail was glaring at her. “No!” he shouted. “Every time someone gets mad at you, do you just go out and kill yourself?”

                Crazystar heaved herself upward, getting her deputy away from her. “What about your whole Clan hating you?” she demanded.

                The golden tom stood. “We don’t hate you!” he meowed with exasperation. “We’re just advising you to spend some time with your kits! They need their mother. Now I am taking you back to camp and you will play moss-ball with Flamekit and Blazekit!”

                “No! I…” she began to protest, only to be interrupted.

                “Did you even consider what you did to the Clan, vanishing like that?” Liontail snarled. “They’re all going crazy and running off to look for you instead of hunting and patrolling borders like we should be doing! I tried to organize two patrols to check the ShadowClan and WindClan borders, but they refused to obey until we found you! Now let’s go!”

                Crazystar reluctantly followed without arguing any further. They reached the stone hollow just before sunhigh and found an almost empty camp. Liontail sighed. “Hawkwhisker, Blackwing, and Nightflower would you mind finding everybody and telling them that Crazystar isn’t missing anymore?” the deputy asked, but it was clearly an order.

                The three cats nodded and dashed off. Liontail pointed towards the nursery, where two kits were intentionally ignoring her. Crazystar stumbled towards them. “Um, hi,” she meowed.

                Flamekit looked up and stared back at her without saying anything. “Well, then, how about a game of moss-ball?” she asked.

                Blazekit looked hopeful, but Flamekit narrowed his eyes. “Why should we want to do anything with you?” the young kit demanded angrily.

                He must of noticed the pain in her eyes though, because he added, “Well, fine. You’ll just dash off somewhere else as soon as we start playing anyways, but sure. Won’t hurt us to play moss-ball for five heartbeats.”

                Crazystar turned around and padded into Honeywhisker’s den to get some moss. Wasn’t exactly an “apology accepted” statement, but I suppose it’s better than nothing.

A/N: Sorry for the wait, but I hope you enjoyed! Thank you so much for reading, I promise I'll update soon!