Chapter 8 Survivors

Natalie

~~~

Smaug gently lays Allie down on the bed on her side. Her wings looks awful.

"Smaug let us splint her wings before we leave," I suggest.

"I thought you'd say that so I looked for some light metal bars and rope to use on our way here. There just down another hall. I'll get them," Smaug says and leaves the room.

"Oh Allie what did we get ourselves into here?" I mumble lightly touch her forehead. "We're just hobbits. Why didn't we stay int the Shire like we were supposed to?"

"I got them," Smaug announces and enters the room again. I hope he didn't hear that moment of weakness. I need to keep my stature strong.

"Great now help me," I say and grab some. Gingerly we splint the tops of her wings so that they heal properly.

"NATALIE, SMAUG, ALLIE," Emily screams drawing our attention. Allie lets out a yelp and springs awake.

"What?!" I shout back just as Emily runs in.

"Thorin requests all of our help with barricading the gaping hole in the front entrance. Survivors from Laketown have taken refuge in Dale and Thorin is worried they will attack us," Emily explains in a rush. I look at Smaug with wide eyes and he shares the same concerned look back.

"Lucky us we have a dragon on our side," Allie snarks and pushes herself off the bed. "What's this on my wings?"

"Splints so that the bones heal properly," I answer. "Tell Thorin we will be present in a moment please."

"He can wait for a second. We need to talk," Emily states and steps into the room closing the door behind her. She stares pointedly at Smaug and crosses her arms. "You have to know something about me turning into a dragon."

"The curse on me grew slowly and before I was truly lost to the dragon I had an affair and a daughter. I'm guessing she went on and had more children leading up to you. How you're the only one who seems to have dragon like powers I do not understand," Smaug explains. Emily stares at him and looks him up and down.

"That is...."

"Fucked up, now let's go Thorin is on a throw a hissy fit," Allie finishes for Emily and grumpily stalks from the room.

"She isn't happy," Emily comments and raises an eyebrow.

"This whole journey is getting to her," I reply and leave the room after Allie. Smaug and Emily follow soon after.

~~~

Lacy

~~~

The dwarves are shouting and rolling huge stones up to cover the gap one by one. It's amazing how fast and in sync they work.

I only hindered the process so I was ordered to sit out and just get anything they ask me for.

"I want this fortress made safe by sun-up. This Mountain was hard-won, I will not see it taken again," Thorin barks as he paces watching the other dwarves work. Kili is sitting out of this operation as well so is Alex seeing as how they're injured.

"The people of Lake-town have nothing. They came to us in need. They have lost everything," Kili argues. He's been trying to reason with his uncle since he came to the mountain.

"Do not tell me what they have lost. I know well enough of hardship. Those who've lived through dragon fire should rejoice! They have much to be grateful for!" Thorin exclaims. Kili shoots Alex a begging look and she just shrugs. Thorin glares at the now populated Dale and I swear there's a flicker of worry in his eye.

"More stone! Bring more stone to the gate!" Thorin screams. Allie, Smaug, Emily, and Natalie shuffle up just as he yells.

"He is changed," Bilbo whispers.

"His next actions will fuck us all in the ass," Alex grumbles.

"Why are we just standing here muttering. Why don't we say something?" Sam asks.

"Because we don't need bloodshed. He's become violent and we don't need a fight to break out in the company," Natalie utters.

"Maybe he will respond better if Allie says something," I suggest and Allie stiffens.

"Why would he?" Jacob questions and tilts his head.

"Trust me he will," I promise. They suddenly seem to understand and stop asking. "Allie can you please say something."

Allie stands looking at Thorin in despair with clenched fists.

"I-"

"Gem! How nice of you to come and will even though you are weakened," Thorin booms. He noticed Allie before she had a chance to get one word out. Thorin surges forward and grabs her forearms. He touches their foreheads together and smiles.

The greed in his eyes clears.

"Can Allie keep him from getting worse?" Natalie inquires to Smaug.

"Maybe."

~~~

Smaug

~~~

"Smaug what do you see in Dale?" Natalie questions. "I need to know if the survivors are in need of aid." I notice Natalie is always planning and looking after others.

"There is an eleven army in Dale," I announce. My dragon sight allows me too see things a mile away. "I think they brought food and supplies for the Lakemen."

"That's good. If Thranduil stood by and did nothing I'd have to scold him," Natalie sighs in relief.

"So you are his advisor correct?"

"Yes, well more like co-ruler actually," she replies with a shrug. "It's a good thing too. After his wife died he's become quite immature."

"Ah I see," I hum.

"She was a great elf. Thranduil was truly taken with her."

A few minutes of silence pass before Natalie clears her throat.

"So exactly how old are you?"

"A few centuries," I reply nonchalantly. Natalie lets out a middle gasp trough her hands and gives me a shocked look. "I was a dragon. Why how old are you?"

"A few decades."

"If it means anything I can subtract the years I was a dragon seeing as I can't really remember them anyway. Then I'd be a few decades old as well," I offer. "Besides I wasn't even myself when I was cursed so technically those years shouldn't even be added."

"That makes sense. I don't care either way. I've spent most my life surrounded by centuries old elves anyway."

"How old were you when you left the Shire?"

"I was 13. I didn't even remember what happened till I touched your face. I guess meeting you jogged my memories."

"And you broke my curse."