Chapter 12 Gundabad

Grace

~~~

Allie has been on my thoughts as of late. She must be in some kind of distress if I keep feeling uneasy. I haven't had much time to worry. Legolas, Tauriel, and I have been traveling to Gundabad trying to track down Bolg.

"We're close," I call out as we approach the dark fortress. Tauriel and Legolas jog up closer to me and together we crouch down and sneak closer.

"Gundabad. What lies beyond?" Tauriel asks quietly. We hid behind a rock to observe the fortress.

"An old enemy. The ancient King of Angmar. And this fortress was once his stronghold. It is where he kept his great armories, forged his weapons of war," Legolas replies. Suddenly my eyes catch a light.

"A light. I saw movement," I report and clutch my daggers tighter.

"We wait for the cover of night. It is a fell place." I nod intently and Tauriel watches the stronghold keenly. She is young and unaware of the history here. "In another age our people waged war on those lands," Legolas states listlessly. I shut my eyes tight. Legolas's mother fought there.

"My mother fought there. My father does not speak of her," Legolas mutters with a sad look in his eyes. Legolas still hurts from the loss of his mother.

I shoot a look over my shoulder at the foreboding place and exhale. We can't take the whole place ourselves.

~~~

Natalie

~~~

I observe the men as they grab weapons and armor hopelessly. I barely  hear the whir of his wings or him land behind me but I sense he's there.

"Has the company been warned?"

"No need they were already preparing. I decided it'd be best if I returned to your side rather than stay there," Smaug responds. He sits down next to me and carefully wraps an arm around my shoulders. "You've done all you could."

"Have I though?"

"Yes."

Loud hoofbeats disrupt the almost quiet emotional moment Smaug and I had.

"Let me through! Make way!" Gandalf shouts as he rides into Dale.

"We'll look who has arrived just in time," I huff sarcastically and get to my feet. Gandalf stops dead when he sees elves teaching the men how to fight.

"No, no, no! Oi, you! Pointy hat!" Alfrid shouts.

"Wait let's watch this before I interfere," I say and hold up my hand. Alfrid is a prat but Gandalf is very late so I'll let Alfrid make him mad.

"Yes, you. We don't want no tramps, beggars nor vagabonds around here. We've got enough trouble without the likes of you. Off you go. On your horse," Alfrid shouts at Gandalf. Gandalf doesn't even roll his eyes.

"Who's in charge here?" Gandalf questions.

"Who is asking?" Bard inquires walking up behind Alfrid.