Chapter 22 Council

Allie

~~~

"So I'm dead for good then?" I ask slowly. I guess I've already come back three times. I wish I could have talked to Grace one last time. "Thorin killed me."

"He saw you, he met you, he liked you, he wanted you, he chased you, he got you, he loved you, he killed you," Death murmurs and I look at him sadly. Thorin and I took months to finally come together and when we did we only had minutes. "That's your story now. It's was a beautiful tragic love affair."

"So that's it then? I'm the kings dead soulmate, the assassins dead sister, the Valors dead angel, and a martyr of peace. That's how I'll be remembered? The angel that was killed by her soulmate. I can see the story books now," I mutter and rub my face. I wanted my life to mean more than that. I want my life to be more than just the last few minutes.

"Yes unless you can persuade the council. If you talk to them you may be able to go back and write a better story," Death explains and shrugs.

"I have to do that. I have to talk to them. Death you have to get me up there."

"They want to talk to you so no I don't. You have pissed them off royally," Death remarks with a smirk.

"Yes you have," Yavanna murmurs and I whip round to see her approach. Hope blooms in my chest and I manage a grin.

She has a smug smile on her face and as usual a dress of flowers. Mahal is next to her and has his hands twined in hers. They are always together being the happiest couple in Middle Earth and all that. He is wearing an all too familiar scowl and fully armored up.

Aule strolls up beside them and Manwei next to her. Aule towers over the other gods and wears a long cloak. Aule holds a bow in hand and a quiver is strapped to his back. Manwei is dressed in casual brown clothes and clutching a fishing pole in his hand.

"Greetings my lords and ladies of Middle Earth," I say politely and curtesy. "May I ask what I've done to anger you?"

"I'm not mad at you my sweet. I'm more angry at my husbands children," Yavanna answers, winks at me, but glares at Mahal.

"Believe me I'm angry with my children as well. Especially angry at Thorin for killing his soulmate," Mahal grumbles and crosses his arms.

"Mahal, Yavanna we agreed to be on the same side with this. Allie is supposed to be our angel and she hasn't accepted it," Aule snaps.

"Do you see what my daughter has been through? How can she accept it? I think that putting this pressure on her is cruel," Yavanna argues and Aule sighs deeply.

"Yavanna you created her specifically for this task!" Manwei counters and waves his hands around.

"Is it possible to just back out of this conversation?" I whisper to Death.

"No," he replies.

"That is besides the point. If we wanted her to accept her role you would have let me protect her against Deren," Yavanna points out. "He broke her spirit!"

"I thought it would make her stronger," Manwei says in defense of himself.

"Wait that was your idea?" I scoff but go ignored. "Will I get a chance to talk?" I quietly ask Death.

"Probably not," he answers truthfully.

"You know I find it hilarious that we are putting her through this council now, right after her soulmate has murdered her!" Mahal shouts.

"Who's fault is that Mahal?" Aule quips and Mahal glowers.

"If we're playing the blame game who's fault is it that Smaug crushed her wings? I believe it's yours Manwei cause your stupid archer missed Smaug in the first place," Yavanna yells and stomps.

"You created a flawed angel Yavanna!" Manwei fires back. "She is weak!"

"This is really damaging to my self esteem," I utter and tug at my hair. I've had a long day and this is making it so much worse. I haven't even been able to cry about getting murdered by my soulmate yet.

"Alright the fault lies on all of us for this then!" Aule suddenly exclaims raising his voice above the others. "It's not hers it's our."

"So then what are we doing here? Shouldn't I be in hell right about now? Considering I'm dead," I interject with a loud voice.

"Allie believe me I want to let you die. The hobbits section of the underworld is quite pleasant and I think you'd like that we've connected it to the elves, men, and dwarves sections as well. But you're the angel of Middle Earth. You can't die till your task is done," Yavanna explains and my heart falls. I do want to see Grace and my friends again but a bigger part of me wants it all to end.

"I understand, I do. I will try harder," I promise. I guess I have to accept who I am.

"You have one more chance Allie. If you fail to take on your role the next time you die you will not come back," Aule states coldly. I gulp deeply when he stares me straight in the eyes.

"I understand."

"Then we shall send you back," Manwei says and raises a hand.

"Wait. My wife and I would like to speak with her privately before we send her back," Mahal says and stops Manwei.

"Very well," Aule mutters and with a wave of his hand Manwei, Death, and himself are gone.

"Allie we just want you to know that we're sorry for what's happened to you," Yavanna murmurs and rubs my hair fondly.

"I would like to apologize specifically for Thorin," Mahal adds in. I give them both a sad smile and nod.

"It's okay. I know what has happened to me isn't your fault and what Thorin did wasn't his fault either. I know what dragon sickness does, and I know he wasn't thinking straight."

"This is why you're the angel Allie. You are compassionate, understanding, selfless, and so strong. I believe you can become the best angel and caretaker of Middle Earth," Yavanna explains. "I'll be watching."

"Give Thorin a good punch for me will you?" I laugh and nod.

"Stay strong," Yavanna says and with a wave of her hand I'm back in darkness.