Little To No Hope (Chapter 28)

Katie's POV

"HERSCHEL!" Daryl exclaimed. He then looked me over wide-eyed, unsure of what to do.

"I'm - I'm gonna die..." I whispered, because it was true. When you get scratched, you die. There was no way around it.

"No. No, no, no, no, no. No you're not." Daryl assured, still wide-eyed.

 I nodded my head slowly and tried to stop the tears that were threatening to escape. I was going to die. Daryl just needed to accept it.

"Daryl..." I started.

"No!" He screamed.

Before I knew it, Daryl had me propped up in an over-the-shoulder carry.

"HERSCHEL!" He screamed again.

He started running towards the house. His pace quickening the closer we got to the house.

Because of the way he was holding me, I had no clue where we were, but he was running for so long, I could only assume we were close to the house.

Soon, the RV appeared in my vision, meaning we had passed it. I saw Dale look at us with a look of concern plastered all over his face. I also saw Rick come out from one of the tents. His face was confused and then his eyes went wide once Dale came off of the top of the RV and told him something.

Rick then came running up to us.

"What happened?" He asked.

"She's hurt." Daryl said vaguely, not planning on telling him that I was scratched, with the fear that Rick would put a bullet in my skull and end it.

Rick simply ran ahead of us as we approached the steps and opened the door for us.

"HERSCHEL!" Daryl yelled again, but this time, I could hear my Dad come running.

"What is it?" He asked. "Who is that?"

"It's Katie," he said breathlessly. "she's hurt. You need to take a look at her, quick."

"In here!" My dad yelled, gesturing to his room.

Daryl then ran into the room and let me down on the bed.

"What happened?" My dad asked.

Daryl and I both made eye contact with each other, wondering what we could tell him. After a few moments, Daryl dropped his head. "She got scratched." He said simply.

My dad's face saddened immediately.

"By what?" He asked.

Daryl then looked at me, expecting me to give my Dad the answer.

"A walker." I answered.

"Are you positive?" He asked me hopefully.

I hesitated. It was extremely likely that it was the walker. But was I certain? Not really.

"No, I - I don't know." I answered nervously.

My dad simply nodded, much to the annoyance of Daryl.

"Do something!" Daryl screamed.

My dad let one lone tear escape his eye. "If it was a walker, there's nothing I can do..."

"We don't know that!" Daryl yelled. "It could've been something else!"

My dad took this in for a moment. "There's no way to tell right now." He answered.

"Clean it up! Do something." Daryl pleaded, his energy fading slightly.

I had no idea what was happening. I could hear their words, but I was so out of it. I felt light-headed and dizzy. I felt like I was watching everything unfold from outside of my body, if that makes sense. I just... I didn't feel like me.