Chapter Twenty Three

Omaha, Nebraska.

Anna.

"Good morning gorgeous." I felt two strong arms wrap around me and a warm kiss to my cheek. I smiled, knowing exactly who it was.

"Good morning Shrek and Fionna." I heard different voice as another person entered the kitchen. I frowned at Sam's comment but it was expected.

We had left Topeka the very next day, after Cooper had paid us a visit. My father still doesn't know we're teaming up with him to bring this guy down.

Apparently, one of John's guys was the one that was after me. We still haven't found him, or even know what his name is, but we at least knew what side he was from.

Our men had doubled in size as soon as they transfered from Halton's, to ours, giving us a great advantage. He also has very highly intelligent men that can help us track down Johnson's whole team faster than we ever could.

The problem is that the little blonde rascal doesn't like to stay in one spot. He knows he's being watched and he knows his limits.
If we're lucky, we get a good guess at where he'll be, and when and how long he'll be there. But as the time went on, it seemed more frustrating.

"I look nothing like shrek, asshole." Jack snapped back, tightening his arms around me.

"Good comeback." Sam rolled his eyes at him, grabbing a coffee cup from the cabinet.

"It's 8 in the morning, what do you expect?" Jack scoffed.

I sighed at their childishness, pulling away from Jack. I heard him groan lightly behind me, but I ignored it.

Now that Jack and I had made up, I had to deal with Sam and him going back and forth at each other. On the ride here, I was sleeping on Jack's shoulder because it was really early in the morning. Sam wouldn't stop looking at us through the mirror, his jaw clenched.

But as soon as we got here, Sam carried me out of the car, inside the safe house, and up to a bedroom. He slept there with me, holding me as close to him as I could get. His grip was tight, as if he was afraid I would disappear. His back was facing the door and his body was hiding mine. He seemed scared someone would take me away.

That someone being Jack.

"I just woke up and came up with that." Sam reminded him as he brewed his coffee.

I hoisted myself onto the counter next to Sam's coffee maker and leaned against the cabinets.

"Fuck off." Jack sighed, obviously done with the conversation. He seemed to bend his head down more, my shoulder not there for him to rest it on.

"Fighting already?" Nate asked, walking into the kitchen. I giggled at his messy hair and his blood shot eyes.

He looked at me, sending me a teasing smile. "And here's the center of the problem." He chuckled. I stuck my tongue out at him, making him laugh.

Sam finished making his coffee and took a sip. He didn't say anything to Nate but he still nodded his head. They're pretty close to me, but I still don't get their friendship.

I reached over, taking a drink out of the cup. Sam glared at me, squeezing my thigh. I smiled at him innocently, handing the cup back.

"You're a pain in my ass, Copper." He chuckled, letting my thigh go.

-

"The mall?" Jack turned his head to me as I pulled into the parking lot. "Annalise, are you serious?" He groaned, slumping down in his seat.