Chapter Twenty Six

Wellington, New Zealand.

Anna.

A bright light flashed through the window, stirring me in my sleep. I figured it was just the sun, finally coming up, but it was only there for a few seconds.

Confused, I reached for my phone and looked at the time. 2:37 a.m.

No one should be out at this time, or using any vehicles.

Jack turned to his other side, his back facing me. That gave me the ability to reach under the bed and grab the gun I put under there earlier. I got up quickly, slipping on tights and shoes.

I made sure to lock the door before leaving our room and heading downstairs.

No one else seemed to be up so I guessed I was the only one who saw the light. I could have just been dreaming, but it would be better to be safe than sorry.

I unlocked the door and opened it slightly. I wished I would have thought of waking Jack up. But he probably wouldn't have wanted to come with me anyways.

Sam wouldn't want to either. He wouldn't be scared, but he wouldn't care whether I got shot or not.

Nate would but he's on the other end of the house, along with Jada.

So I'm fucked.

I cocked my gun into place before opening the door wider and stepping outside.

I skimmed the yard with a flashlight and only our cars were visible. I was starting to freak out at this point, ready to just run back inside to safety.

Maybe Jack's arms would do.

"Annalise?" A scratchy voice called, making me almost jump out of my skin. I looked around frantically, trying to find where the voice was coming from.

"Annalise, there's an ear piece in the mail box. Pick it up." The voice came again, sounding like it came from a radio.

I followed it's instructions, reaching into the mailbox. Sure enough, I felt a cold plastic at the back of it.

I cleaned it off before putting it into my ear. It screeched at first, trying to connect with whoever was at the other end of it. I cringed slightly, stepping back.

"Good job." The voice now came through the ear piece, sounding more clear.

It wasn't a voice who I recognized, and that made my heart race faster.

"Now, walk down the steps." The guy, I'm guessing by the voice level, spoke again. I shook my head, knowing he could probably see me.

"We aren't going to hurt you. I promise you that." He sounded like he meant it, but I knew not to trust anyone.

But I also learned that if you don't listen, they're more likely to kill you. Knowing that, I cautiously stepped down the stairs.

"Better. Now I set a little present for you in the box five feet in front of you."

I shined the light ahead of me, noticing a brown cardboard box laying in front of one of the cars.

"Before you open it, I want to inform you with a couple of things." He stopped me before I could take another step.

"You are fucking with the wrong people. We are a lot stronger than you think. Jack G is not safe, you are not safe, and none of your allies are safe. This should be proof. This is revenge. So watch out." With that, the line went dead.