26. Ties

"I don't care for him anymore." You latch your eyes onto Ethan. "He is not tying me to your corrupt world." You slide off the desk and stand by M. Roussel's side.

"Oh no not him, dear." Oliver approaches you. "Didn't he, um, borrow your magic?" He giggles. "The term borrowed being used lightly, of course."

"What are you talking about?" Ethan snaps. "I gave it all back to her. I made sure of it."

"Care to explain, dear?" Oliver grins at you.
You look towards Ethan. "You do borrow..." You start slowly. Talking about this at the moment wasn't really in your best interest. You were depressed and just wanted this to be over. "But you replicate as well. You had to replicate my magic to have been able to use it."

"And while you were using her magic, you were in our world." Oliver moved towards Ethan and began to circle him. "Therefore, her strongest tie to our world is her magic."

"Then why don't you use me?" Ethan sneers. "If I can do the same thing as her why haven't you been harassing me?"

Oliver looks to you. "Because she is the source of the power. It means her portals will be the most reliable."

You almost fell to your knees again. That means there was no way you could close the portal and banish them back to their own world. Why? Because you had no idea how to get rid of your magic.

Oliver giggled and came to stand in front of you. "You see?" He smiled. "We always win."

"I'm not drawing you a portal." You state.

"Good thing our buddy Ethan here can. The backup plan is going to have to do." Oliver pulled a knife from the waist band of his trousers. "Goodbye dear."

He brought it up to stab you. You closed your eyes. At least it would be over and the pain of losing Gilbert would no longer exist.

"No!" You were suddenly pushed out of the way. Your eyes flew open just in time to see Oliver bring his knife down. M. Roussel collapsed to the floor, the knife protruding from his shoulder.

"Oh my." Oliver giggles.

You get to your feet and rush to M. Roussel's side. The knife had gotten him in the hollow space behind his collar bone. The would probably survive. You turn to Oliver, ready to fight. "You motherfucker."

"I do not appreciate that type of language." Oliver reached out for you.

But Ethan lunged forward and yanked you out of the way first. All of a sudden, your body got heavy and lethargic. Ethan's hand was gently pressed against the side of your neck. You feel backwards off your heels and into his shins. "What are you doing?" You asked, your head lolling back and hitting his knees.

"Borrowing." He said grufly. You move your eyes up to look at his face. He is glaring at Oliver. The paper and lighter was thrust at your chest. "Burn it."

You fumbled for the lighter. Ethan had taken away your magic and your only tie to the other world. You quickly open the lighter and bring the flickering flame to the page.

"No!" Oliver screaches. He jumps towards you, grabbing for the paper but Ethan puts himself between you and the crazed man.

The flames lick up the paper, burning away the drawing of the dark door. Oliver continues to struggle, but it looks like he's hit a wall. He can't get any closer to you and the only link between your wolrd and his disintegrates in your hand.

And Ethan can't get any closer either. He looks at you with sad eyes. "Be safe." He says. Before he disappears. Your heart hammers in your chest. He must have been sucked into the other world because of your magic that now resided in him.

He'd sacrificed himself for you.

Your eyes flick towards Oliver who is screaming, pounding his fists against the invisible wall. "Goodbye." You whisper.

And then it's over.